Tuesday 30 November 2010

Sunday's run and fair weather riders !!

Having found some new winter tyres lying around in the garage (whilst looking for overshoes) I got up early to replace my light racing tyres and noticed that the frost was not very heavy so a ride would be OK. Just before 8.30 I had a text to ask if the run was going ahead in the snow. I looked out to see a few flakes and texted "yep". There was no one at the Harrow so I set out to Battle, seeing Shaun Reed and one other Bayeux top on their way to Hastings. I decided on a short run. North Trade Road and Wartling were OK but on approaching Pevensey roundabout the road was covered in a thin layer of snow so I decided to take the main road back to Bexhill. There was quite a bit of ice in the gutter and it was a bit touchy in Bexhill. When I go to St Leonards the side roads were newly covered in snow and I had to walk down Reedswood Road carefully. So it was a good to have had a bit of fresh air and some sunlight but my toes were shrammed, hopefully not next week now I have finally ordered some overshoes to replace the tatty ones I must have thrown away in the spring.

Some riders do not go out if the temperature is below 5 degrees. It will have to be lower and with a hard frost, particularly if on previously wet roads, before I will miss out on some fresh air.

Saturday 4 December is the Christmas hack ride so no bacon butty run. I aim to be at the Harrow at 9.00am to depart by 9.10am Sunday morning.

Chris Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment