Wednesday 14 December 2011

Riders on the Storm - Chaingang Dec 14

At what point is it wise to abandon a ride - drizzle, heavy rain, hail, snow? Well, so long as we're out here, might as well continue a bit further and see if gets better, or worse . . .

On leaving home tonight rain began spotting the pavement, by the end of the street it was getting heavy, but I was determined to ride - so I turned back and grabbed a rain jacket, extra layer and a woolly hat to cover my ears. I reached the meeting place late, and no one was there. What the heck, I'll roll on a bit further and maybe see if anyone else is out or if I'm the only one taking a gamble on it clearing up. With the extra layer I soon began feeling a bit too warm, better than too cold as sheet lightning flashed in the storm clouds, and a 20mph gale blasted icy drizzle into my face. No tail-lamps could be seen on horizon, come this far, might as well continue. After seven miles or so the misty drizzle suddenly turned to handfuls of nails flung in the face - a hailstorm, eighth of an inch ball bearings of ice drifting on the ground like snow! I jumped off the bike turning my back on the flying hailstones to try and find shelter, it lasted about a minute then I set off again, reasoning if I turned back now then I'd be riding inside the storm all the way home, might as well go a bit further and see what happens next. Leaving Bexhill my spirits lifted and I hummed what else but "break on thru' to the other side" of course, as patches of clear sky appeared and the wind dropped.

Along Herbrand Walk the road was all but covered in pebbles washed off the beach, bar two narrow tyre tracks. The Star Inn looked deserted. A night train passed, showers of yellow sparks flew from its wheels and more sheet lightning flashed out over the Downs in the west . If I get struck by lightning out here on the flat marshes - will my thin rubber tyres save me? Halfway between Spooky Hill and Pevensey I saw some likely bike lamps approaching. Was pleased to turn round and catch up with Simon Grogan, Joe Jenner and Simon Newell. They told me John & Swavek had rode out with them as well then continued on home towards Eastbourne. The five of them had kept going right into the teeth of the hailstorm without stopping , proper hard riders!

A good run back to Hastings assisted by a tailwind, waved hello to Stuart Crabbe as we passed and finally Simon N and Joe had some jump left at Bexhill. Felt great to steal a ride on a stormy night, feet were cold by the end despite warm socks and winter overshoes

Lots of Police cars out patrolling and doing spot checks what with works do's and whatnot, even saw a silver unmarked Audi A4 patrol car pull a foolish red light jumper by the Carlisle, was a big 3 litre with flash boy racer alloys. Ride safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment