Wednesday 19 December 2012

Tuesday training -18 December


Ivan punctures, a chance for me to get ahead!
Owing to the terrible weather of late, myself and Ivan decided we would squeeze in an extra Broad Oak night ride on a Tuesday when the weather forecast was excellent. John V and Nathan decided to join us. As the forecast promised, it was a nice still evening, the temperature was chilly but safely above freezing point. Ivan got a sudden puncture while heading out along the rye harbour road. I used this as a chance to get ahead but as usual it wasn't long before the other all fitter riders came past me on the long haul up to Broad Oak. On reaching the top I could see all the others waiting for me but rather than stop I decided to make another break for it to try to get ahead, so shouted a 'catch me up' as I rode past. With gravity now on my side it wasn't until the approach to Westfield that Nathan caught me up. On the rough road up to Stonestile the mist had descended which slowed Nathan down and we road together to the base of stonestile with no sign of John or Ivan. The fog lifted and Nathan soon shot off up the hill. before long I heard the heavy breathing of another rider behind me  , it was John on his first ever ascent of stone stile. Once, John had gone past me I expected to see Ivan but I just managed to get to the top of the climb before he caught me up. Ivan said he was still not quite up to full fitness and had had to walk at the first and steepest part of the climb.
John's first ascent of stonestile

No comments:

Post a Comment