Saturday 11 May 2013

10 May Friday Night Chaingang- New Steed For Steve

Giant Defy lives Up To The Reviews
Good dry weather but unseasonally cold for the time of year. Apart from Trevor, who braved the conditions in nothing more than a thin jersey and shorts, the rest of us were back to fleecy tops and tights. This was going to be my first proper ride on my most recent eBay purchase, a barely used Giant Defy 2.5.Plunging down Battery Hill, I was immediately impressed with how stable the defy felt, even more so than my much loved SCR, without even trying STRAVA gave me a PB on the descent.At the nature reserve they had made some progress on the section they are repairing but we still had to walk our bikes around it. Josef was going much faster tonight and so I ended up with a lonely solo climb to the top of Broad Oak.To make up for any time I had kept the others waiting , I didn't stop but just rode straight  past.The descent from Broad Oak was great fun on my new steed but before long all the others had caught up with me.They were careful not to sit directly behind me, as with the new saddle bag fitted to the defy, my extra bright rear light was blinding riders behind (will have to swop with the one from the SCR). I was looking forward to seeing how the Defy performed on the Stonestile climb. With straight through forks rather than curved ones, the handling felt tighter than on the SCR which tended to wonder a bit on climbs.Once I have upgraded the rear wheel and the cheapo crank, the defy should easily be able to best the time set on my SCR. Meanwhile up at the front, Barney, Trevor and Stuart had worked together chaingang style, each taking turns at the front encouraging each other on. This helped both Trevor and Barney to get PBs on the climb moving up to 4th and 9th respectively on the all time list.
Trevor And Barney Move Up The Leaderboard

No comments:

Post a Comment