Thursday 4 December 2014

Cold as a Cockney in Cockfosters

I think we can safely say the unseasonably warm and dry weather has ended. Just 3 degrees C was showing on the thermometer as I left home for Galley Hill, joining 18 other hardy souls for the Wednesday evening chain gang. This is proper chain gang riding, that is either cold and or wet conditions, in which all participants prove they are worthy of 'kudos' and that they can live up to rule 5.

Given the lower number of riders, we dispensed with separate speed-rated groups, trusting instead to natural speed selection to sort the super-fast from the merely fast, the wheat from the chaff, the cocks from the hens. It had, as usual, been a rush to get to the ride on time, even though I'd worked from home. Served me right for fussing and faffing over what combination of kit to wear. But now I could relax, stretch out on the bike as I called rested legs into action, warming up by working hard. It felt really good after 10 hours stuck on the laptop.

The truly superb Stuart Hodd and Barney 'Crank-Breaker' Willard headed a good lead out at a fast but bearable pace. I managed, for once, to stay with them as far as South Cliff when I was a little confused to be invited to ride 'through the middle' as Stuart and Barney parted left and right. I lost some momentum but pressed hard up the slope, chasing Ruth, Michael and others to the junction with Cooden Drive. We slowed significantly for a car, the group stretching out on turning left, as faster riders accelerated harder than the rest.

But I hung on still all along Cooden, with Stuart and Barney again leading, slowing the group to a sensible pace on wet, slippery corners. We swung cautiously left onto Herbrand and this time the hammer came down that bit harder. I couldn't accelerate any faster and I was sifted into a group of one as the genuinely powerful riders grouped and sped towards the level crossing. To my left I saw the green and blue glow of beach anglers tip lights, swinging back and then forward as they cast into cold water. Stuart Buckland came up alongside me, suffering from a week off the bike, and we agreed to rotate as a duo all the way to Pevensey roundabout. We got it cock-on, each taking a 30 second or so turn on the front before easing a little to let the other press forward.

We didn't wait around long - the sweat of the outward leg was quickly chilling us - so we set off again as one group. It was a less tidy Grand Depart and I soon found myself between the faster lead group and a number of smaller groups, all making progress at a pace that suited them. Three riders headed by Malcolm caught me near Spooky Hill. I tagged on the back, not able to go fast enough to take a turn on the front, and impressed by Malcolm's strength. I held on up the hill and then pushed down hill and managed to take the lead for a while.

Steve And Pete Return To Their More Normal Positions At The Back!
I realised then that the wind was stronger and colder than I'd thought. I struggled to maintain a decent pace and I was dropped before the Star Inn, as was another from that group a bit further along. I rode solo from the Star to near the end of Herbrand, simultaneously catching the other dropped rider and being caught by John V and Simon G. Next week I will remember to ride with them the whole way back as they catch me on Herbrand nearly every week! That is unless I'm feeling cocky and fancy mixing it with the super-fasts.

The après chain gang was a civilised affair, riding with Peter Buss and Stuart Buckland. We discussed doing a 'Cheese Fondu' 130km ride before Christmas, as a Strava challenge, and also the pleasure of riding in cold weather if suitably layered and insulated. It beats getting soaked.

My journey from Normans Bay was back into that cold wind - head down, teeth gritted and eyes watering. Some houses are now bedecked with white-light reindeer, electric icicles and dazzling strings of multi-coloured bulbs. The near-full moon broke through the cloud and shone off the road alongside the beach at Cooden and again I rode a short stretch without lights, perfectly capable of seeing my way, drinking in the cold clean air and thinking, hoping, dreaming that 'next week will be warmer...'

(With thanks to MP Penny Mordaunt for poultry-related inspiration).

Neil Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment