Tuesday 22 December 2015

Part Deux - Back in Blighty : 'Pre BBR Brighton Special - It's called 'man love''

 10:36 a.m - Top Of Ditchling Beacon

"Would someone please help him onto his bike!", said Simon G

I must admit I looked pretty pathetic; I'd just about made it up Ditchling and was feeling sick and knackered and had been sprawled on the grass on my back trying to take in sufficient oxygen to recover enough to remount my bike.  One two many pain au raisin (see note at end) and croissants - plus a glass or two too many of French wine was taking its toll - this combined with a lack of mileage recently had made the climb unbearable. I hate to say this, and I did have permission from Steve C to not mention it, but I did stop very briefly, towards the top, for a rest.  The false summits that Ditchling is renowned for added to my other issues and seemed to demoralise and drain me.  Also, I had made a mistake in an effort to 'bury' Steve C, and had over 'cooked' it; shortly after I passed him he passed me, but when seeing me slumped over my bike, when he could have easily 'milked' the situation, he merely asked me if I was O.K.  - a true gent indeed.

Earlier.....07:51 a.m - Normans Bay Crossing

'It's called style, Neil, you wouldn't understand'

I was responding to Neil who had noticed my very 'on trend' and lovely, new, Specialzed 'Airnet' helmet, and was alluding to the size of it in order that he could get a smutty and childish comment, 'along the lines of': "Bussy's got a big helmet!", into the conversation.

I put it down to jealousy and surveyed the rest of the group - good turnout! - eleven in all. Last to arrive was Paul, whom I hadn't seen since before my wedding (I know that because he asked me if I had a good wedding.)  Just before that Simon Grogan arrived; I must say it was good of him to give up his Sunday to police the event and ensure that we didn't turn into a rabble; in fact I would suggest that if more people adopted the same selfless approach to life then the world would be a much happier place.  The other non-regulars were John V and Gareth - everyone else was a seasoned Pre BBR Brighton Special regular.

Stripping down to one layer in the balmy December weather
At the Pevensey roundabout, JV decided he wanted to bypass the muddy lanes up to the Hailsham Road and
asked me for some information on the route so that he could meet up with us later.  I explained, that as much as I would love to answer his question, I didn't really have a clue.  In fact the lanes weren't too bad, a few muddy patches and big puddles, but quite navigable.  I did note later in the ride, by looking at how clean Neil appeared compared to the rest of us, that there is a massive gain to be had from using mudguards.  I don't know why more of us don't use them.  I did put them on my second bike last year, but they got damaged; I have a new set in the garage and I'm currently awaiting the motivation to put them on.

Just short of Ringmer I felt the dreaded 'rumble' - it was one of those moments when you hope its just the road surface and then the realisation 'hits' that it's a puncture - luckily the front tyre.  I called out and Gareth, Tom and Paul stopped to assist. It took longer to work out how to use my C02 gadget than it took to change the inner tube, but once I had re-figured it out I was glad I didn't have to inflate manually (I have a combined mini pump and canister holder which is great once I work out which bit goes where.)  The remainder of the group were waiting a bit down the road and I showed my appreciation by shouting out "losers" as I sailed past them.

Just short of Ditchling Beacon JV bad us farewell - obviously fearing getting home late more than any potential ribbing from the group about avoiding ascending it (to be fair Gareth pointed out that he had 'been up it last week' after a few beers on the Hack Run) - so O.K well let you off then John - was great to see you!

Thank goodness the Uni cafe was open!
I did feel some trepidation after Ditchling that the Brighton Campus restaurant may be closed, as it was a Sunday, and I wouldn't get any food.  It was Patrick who raised this issue, but I think he was just panicking the same as me.  We needn't have worried, the lights were on and it was open for business.  Sadly for Stewart, he was unable to join us, as while leading from the front he hadn't noticed we had turned off and carried on for a few extra miles.  By the time he arrived we were just finishing and although he was invited to get some food he settled for nibbling on a few alfalfa shoots that he had brought with him.  I put it down to youthful over zealousness and hoped that he had learned from the experience. I was surprised when I looked at peoples' choices that Patrick didn't
have beans:

"They just looked too perfect, I prefer them a bit more congealed"

My favourite part of the ride comes after breakfast when we use the cycle path along side the A27. This down hill section always seems to be accompanied by a tail wind and with the added draught of the cars whizzing past just a few feet away it makes for an exhilarating experience.

After this we became stretched out into two three groups all the way to Newhaven.  I was in the second group with Tom, Steve and Gareth and we waited for Paul and Mal C to catch up before setting off in pursuit of the first group.  We met up with them at the end of the cycle path that leads from Newhaven to Seaford where they
were waiting for us.  I noticed there was one person missing:

"So what he just fecked off then?", I said

"Yes, he just sort of shot of" said Gareth, "I think he was in a rush to get back"

"Do you know he told me off on the Chain Gang on Wednesday, for going too fast off the front?"

"Well, he seemed very calm today" said Steve, "I only heard him say:'Oh, for f*ck's sake', once."

His work done, Simon G had left us to fend for ourselves. Would we descend into a rabble or would we maintain the professional standard of cycling that he had encouraged?.  Seriously, Simon, we appreciate the fact that you take safety and good practice seriously and you will always be welcome to join us again on the PBBRBS.

We kept together as one group all the way to the bottom of the Seven Sisters climb, when, as usual, it became every man for himself.  I was in group of one trying to keep up with Steve and Paul.  I didn't find the climb as difficult as dealing with all the frustrated drivers trying to squeeze past us - we seemed to be creating, through no fault of ours, congestion at the top of the hill.  Since returning from France I am finding it difficult to cope with all the cars on the road (I'm sure they feel the same about us cyclists.)

On the stretch to the top of Beachy I felt quite strong and even manged to pull away from Tom, Steve, Paul and Mal C.  Tom and I did have a mini 'man-off' as he eased past me on the zig zag part but I caught him up and then eased past him.  I met up with the elite group by the bogs and while shivering in the chilly breeze a passing cyclist informed us that one of our group had problems with bike and was stuck in top gear. In order to keep warm Stewart suggested we shelter behind the hedge that screens the bogs and then pulled us all in for a group man-hug.

"Can you feel it?", asked Neil

"I'd rather not, mate, if you don't mind, I mean when I said let's have a hug I didn't mean anything more than that!", said a shocked Stewart

"No,no....I mean can you feel the vibe?", said Neil

"Yeah, I suppose I can", said Stewart who was now eyeing Neil in a slightly suspicious manner.

"It's called man-love", explained Neil

Gareth looked on a bit bemused.  Tom had his eyes closed and was trying his best to get into the zone.  I just made mental notes for the blog.

Shortly afterwards Steve and Paul arrived and informed us that it was Mal C who had the problem.

Steve, Paul and I said we would wait for Mal while the others headed off. We didn't have to wait long before he arrived looking quite composed, considering that he must have a really tough time getting up to the top of Beachy with his busted bike.

We reassured Mal that he should be able to get back O.K as it was downhill, or flat, all the way back to Hastings and we said we would follow him.

As it transpired we never say him again, so assumed he was on his way back safely (he did text me later to say how grateful he was that we waited for him and that he was now home.)

Paul and I made our way to Pevensey and waited for Steve - who had decided to take the cycle path from Eastbourne instead of the road. Once he arrived I said I was going to buy some cakes from the bakery as was my usual habit.  Although Vicki is in France I still decided to buy two doughnuts and eat them both myself. Steve said he would come with me and have a cup of tea, but upon opening the door he changed his mind - it was rammed!

"Never mind Steve, would you like a cup of tea at my house?",

"Oh, yes please, that would be great", he replied

Paul decided he would shoot off and I led Steve into the heart of the PRNB.

Once settled at the dining table Steve quickly downed two mugs of tea while we discussed the events of the day.

"Got any biscuits?", he said

"I've got some pink wafers"

"They'll do, thanks".

Just before he left we were joined by Matt Schubert who popped by for a cup of tea.  He had had quite a traumatic week, but now looked 'chilled'.

The PBBRBS is a memorable day with great cycling, great banter and average food! - come and join us on the next one

I'm off to France again on Tuesday 22nd for three weeks and am looking forward to it immensely.

Peter Buss

Note:
I have eaten real pain au raisins while in France and, sadly, I have to report that we don't get the proper ones over here.  The 'real ones' have a squidgy center - similar to the consistency of bead and butter pudding - are delicious and bare no resemblance to the hard, dry offerings from our supermarkets and bakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment