Thursday 28 April 2016

Wednesday Chain Gang - Season Finale

I suppose it’s fitting that the last chain gang of the 2015-16 season should be in cold, wet and windy conditions. Classic chain gang weather you might say, which for the most part we have not enjoyed this year as much as in the past.
Unperturbed by the inclement conditions (sleet and snow anyone?), nearly 30 riders assembled at the shelter, some rather ambitiously wearing shorts or sleeveless tops. Personally, I decided on bib-longs over bib-shorts, two tops, neoprene over-shoes, arm warmers and an anorak. I was just too tired to cope with being cold and opted for the ‘boil in a bag’ option. Some riders who shall be nameless (Stewart B) opted for the warmth and comfort of a turbo session in the garage. He is rather delicate, so I don’t blame him. As a boy, his Nanny made him swim across the lake, winter and summer, before he could have his cold porridge breakfast and a good thrashing from the chamber maid. Picture him, if you will, with his spindly white legs and goose-bumped flesh, shivering at the water’s edge in his string vest. His chest hasn't never been the same since.
Anyway… Off rolled a smallish group of ultras, including Calvin, feeling fresh and cheeky. Then out rolled the rest of us, in a bit of a rabble, beginning a rotation as we went along Bexhill front. The wind was bearable and the sleet and snow seemed to have finished. Looming ahead of us, sweeping north-eastwards over the Downs and Eastbourne, was a huge stack of black cloud with heavy rain beneath it. I was confident it would not reach us at the Pevensey roundabout, but others were less sure:
‘I’ve not got a vest on, my nipples will get frost bite’ whined Peter Baker.
‘My mum says I’m not to get damp, or I’ll get a chill’ whimpered Gareth.
‘I don’t want to get buttock rot again’ gibbered Michael.
Time to celebrate the end of another successful chain-gang season
Shirley tightened her helmet straps and adjusted her glasses, hunkering down over her handlebars with grim determination etched into her face and pedalled on without a single complaint. Chapeau Shirley, you showed ‘em how to ride last night.
Whereas I was not really in the mood for it. I fell off the back of the group, later telling Peter B that I had slowed to work with Darren. As it was, he and I rode a decent two-up from Herbrand Walk, neither of us having the pace to reach the ‘supers’. Darren has been riding for only five months or so and has made great progress with his fitness and speed. Moreover, he is really enjoying cycling and that’s what it’s all about. I have to say, I was not enjoying it as much as I wanted, having hoped that we would have good weather for the final Wednesday outing. Hey ho, bloody weather.
We stayed very briefly at the layby, the most superb Stuart H keen to get back before the rain reached us. Off we went as a mass of thrashing legs, flashing lights and swishing rubber, the ultras swooping past at speed before we reached the first bend on Sluice Lane. I really didn’t feel like chasing after them, even with the wind behind me. I was also riding the Cannonball (excuse alert!) and, as you all know, each wheel weighs 3 kilos. The scaffolding pole frame adds another 12 kilos, so really I had no chance of keeping up with anyone.  A week or two riding the Giant TCR has quickly spoilt me. I struggled on, pushing hard, suffering, swearing and sweating in my anorak.
The Strava ‘flyby’ animation shows me riding back close to or with a number of riders, but frankly  I don’t remember much about it (sorry chaps). I was more than ready for a drink when we reached the traffic lights, so off we went. As ever, we enjoyed a pleasant pint or three and a good chat. As someone said on Strava, ‘we don’t do enough of that’ and he’s right. Having said that, I had the one pint and then repeated the chain gang route again, feeling more than a little tipsy. Total lightweight.
Highlights of the chain gang season? Seeing such good numbers throughout the winter, only dipping below 10 on one or two occasions. Enjoying, for the most part, relatively good weather and not once needing to use the ‘Cooden Crit’ route. Also, seeing a consistently high standard of group riding, with no alarming manoeuvres or near-misses. It was great to see Lord Buckland’s completed Grifter restoration and to meet his butler. And I have loved every minute of the banter and good humour that the chain gang provides.
I suppose a low-point would be John V inspecting the road surface rather more closely than he wished! I note that the council have since resurfaced the slick parts of the road. On a personal note, I felt the benefit of riding the Cannonball for several months, and then riding a lighter bike in recent weeks. It’s good training and I’ve saved my ‘better’ bike from the worst of the weather. I won’t call it a winter bike, as I’ll use it whenever the weather is wet. It’s a training bike that I might put some better kit on at some point, but right now I’m more than happy to keep rolling with Sora and mudguards!
The TT season starts next week at Broadoak and Nick Sargent is organising a Wednesday night ride over the summer of 30 miles or so as a substitute for the chain gang. Whatever you do midweek, I look forward to seeing you on the road at some point and I thank you all for a fantastic chain gang season. As usual, I’m sad that it’s finished for four months, but we will appreciate more after a break from it.

Safe riding, Neil Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment