Saturday 7 May 2016

3/4 Tuesday (Tubby) Training - New route a keeper

Our 2016 Tubby Tuesday training season got off to a good start this week . Patrick and Mick proved that you can be stick thin and still enjoy riding with the 'Tubbies'. This would also be the first Tuesday ride for Andy C who definitely qualifies for this ride!

Patrick proves that you don't have to be a 'Tubby' to enjoy Tues training
last year the Tuesday ride simply followed the same route as the 'HSLCC Friday Night Ride'. This was OK but this year I decided that it needed its own  distinct course. keri had informed me that Float lane had been resurfaced this year, so that was one option. Then looking at the map I decided that we could get to Westfield from Sedlescombe rather than heading more or less directly there from Brede.

In bright sunny conditions we all rode together on the main road to Winchelsea where we turned off towards the little used Winchelsea railway station and joined Float lane. This is one of my favourite bits of road. I haven't ridden it for years as it was in such a terrible potholed state but now it was covered with lovely smooth tarmac. This lane is so peaceful and feels remote with lovely views of sheep grazing on the flat farmland. The sun was low in the sky so everyone was covered in a golden glow (I must bring my go-pro to capture this effect). The flat riding came to a sudden end as the last section sudden turns vertical to join the Icklesham road. Myself and Andy were last up this section but didn't struggle too much.

Now we were back on familiar Friday night territory, the Broad Oak drag . Normally this road seems like an endless slog but having cut out 40% of it , we arrived at the top in no time at all.

Riding towards Brede, I had informed everyone that we would be taking the sharp right hand turn towards Sedlescombe. Unfortunately this road has got a bit of a bad reputation . Care is definitely needed as the road surface is in quite bad condition, narrow and with some steep descents. Regrouping at Sedlescombe I asked the others what they thought, should we cut this bit out? They all thought that providing riders were sensible it was OK to use this road as long as the conditions were dry and there was plenty of light. We all decided that if the roads were damp we would just stick to the Friday night route for this section.
My main reason for choosing this road was that we could now ride the steep climb up to Westfield. We had a choice, either ride up the wider road past the Vineyard or ride up the narrower road past Westfield place. Patrick thought that the narrower road was the better option as there would be less traffic, however having programmed in the route into my Garmin I wanted to stick to the 'vineyard route' , also this one is a bit better surfaced and safer.
Care is needed on the connecting lane between brede and Sedlescombe
Arriving at Westfield, Stonestile was between us and completing our first traverse of this new route. This would be my first ascent on my newly acquired CAAD 8 compact double with only a 28 cassette rather than my old CAAD 8 with a triple 28! I didn't find it too bad although I was out of the saddle more than normal but Patrick reckoned that riding this higher gear would make me stronger up hills. However , in the back of my mind was the thought of doing the Mega Leg breaker Improver's ride later in the month and a few days later , in a moment of weakness , I ordered myself a new long reach dérailleur and a 32 cassette (what a wimp I am!)

Steve C

No comments:

Post a Comment