Saturday 19 November 2016

16/11 Wednesday Chain Gang – In Touch with our Inner Woman

There was a great turn out last night with 20 riders coming out, as it were, on a warm, dry but breezy night. We faced a stiff westerly on the outward leg, with the fun of a wind-assisted return ride. We had enough riders for two groups.

The ultras went out, leaving a larger group of a dozen or so riders to labour into the wind. I rode alongside ‘Babs’ Baker and asked whether he was wearing the right blouse, more recently having ridden in his summer weight chiffon. ‘Not only the right blouse, but a thermal petticoat as well’ he shouted. He then said he would show it me later when it was ‘moist’. Speechless, I rode to the front, deciding to give him a wide berth. It was then that I felt something touch my ‘derriere’. What was going on? Ah, it was Gareth, clearly confused about the road signal for ‘pay attention’. It certainly made me do that, but you’re supposed to tap your own behind Gareth, not someone else’s. ‘Any excuse’ explained JV. Indeed.

It was hard going, with various strong riders – JV, Patrick and Babs – taking the front and pushing up the pace. The group worked really well, making for a strong and flowing ride, reducing the effect of the wind. A couple of times I had to just hang on the back of the group, catch my breath and recover some energy. This was true on Herbrand Walk, where as usual the wind was at its strongest. If you get gapped here, that can be it for the ride – you’re off the back and on your own.

We rode on, filing up (after some shouting from Babs) for the stretch from the level-crossing to the Star Inn, still at a good pace, still with good rotations. Spooky Hill loomed and with it the prospect of getting dropped. Digging deep, I managed to stay in touch with the others, Malc D sticking to my rear wheel as we dropped down the west slope and I pushed to reach the group ahead. I think Adam C was the first rider I reached, hopping in front of him to help close the gap to the next rider.

Once I reached him I swooped past, then Malc D came around me and we were in to the main group again. I managed one more rotation before there was a ‘man-off’ between JV and Gareth on the last stretch. All good fun.

The return leg was turbo-charged by the wind, with two groups forming. I love surfing the wind; it makes up for the power I lack as I can spin my legs quickly and make good speed in these conditions. JV and I rotated the front with a rider whose name I don’t know, with Babs and others putting in stints. We reached Cooden Drive in good time, then a rider came past us having sat on the back to that point. He went haring off, so we thought they were not with us. They were fast, but Babs and I did exchange words on their etiquette.

The group rode the last stretch in good form, with some jockeying for position as the last part of the ride came into view. We were also hard on the tail of our mystery rider and gaining, showing again how a group of slower riders can work together to catch faster riders. Once we came within range, we released our ‘missiles’ – JV and Gareth – to catch our ‘target’. Good work team! We reached the lights and I thought the rider was going on and therefore not one of our club, but he pulled in as a ‘displaced ultra’. Bad form old chap, if you were sitting on, to then bugger off like that.

Just a reminder that the highlight of the November social calendar is on Saturday 26th November at 12:30 (after the BBR), namely the club Christmas lunch at Di Paulos, just £10 cash on the day. However, you will need to make your menu choices by this weekend please – you should have had an email about it.

Safe riding, Neil


No comments:

Post a Comment