Wednesday 11 January 2012

Escape from the Chaingang Weds Jan 11th

Do you ever worry about the big questions in life? Things like why are we here, is the world going to end soon, and closer to home - is the sort of cycling I do good or bad for my heart, that kind of thing?
To get some answers I had a go at taking my resting pulse in bed this morning - without proper instruments I can't claim any accuracy - 40 or 47 bpm, give or take 10 or 20. Anyway the interesting thing was it seemed possible to slow it down quite a bit by breathing more deeply and slowly which was quite reassuring in a way. Either that or I carelessly missed some beats. I'm sure now about one thing at least - relaxing in bed doesn't strain the heart overly much.

Great turn out of 21 riders and the return of lots of our regulars. Lashings of Christmas pud doesn't seem to have put a dent in most of you, why!? I've gained 5 pounds! Stored carbs - like a camel.
Speed out was more than 21mph, Pete Tadros, Ivan and Matt doing most of the work with John and Shaun escaping up South Cliff, but somehow we dragged them back. John escaped again at Cooden Beach, the second time I nearly buried myself trying to catch him, and actually eased up half way across, lucky for us he'd slowed up a bit too. Of course by then our chasing group was up to speed and rolled on and past and over, like a humungous juggernaut being carried by a relentless juggernaut transporter.

Just before the halfway stop I thought Ivan had opened a good gap so I tried to help but ran out of gas quickly, everyone was itching to go, in the end John then Swavek prevailed lapping the roundabout in honour, 3rd time lucky, good game! And a 21.5 mph average, not bad at all against a westerly wind.

On the way back we averaged 24 and something mph, I think in three groups that all finished pretty close together, good effort. Spotted two traffic cops on motorbikes and a panda car, so it's a good thing that we never ever jump red lights. Everyone rode home sensibly and we'll see you next week friends, take care of yourselves, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment