Wednesday 18 January 2012

Great Chieftains of the Pudding Race - Chaingang wed 18 january


15 riders - good turnout for an otherwise unpromisingly dreich and misty night. Local ace Pete Tadros and Shaun Reed, the only rider from west of Pevensey set the pace, with Simon N. Paul and myself hanging on grimly like the witches chasing Tam O' Shanter's mare. The tail tore off painfully at South Cliff as two riders were shed. I clung on a bit longer, came to the front at the level crossing , but was spent by the Star Inn. Just after crossing the bridge Pete attacked like a pro, Shaun shouted "inside" meaning Shaun was chasing thru' on my inside in lee of the wind. Addle headed I thought he meant me to move to the inside accidentally boxing him in so Pete escaped over Spooky Hill into a westerly headwind like Auld Clootie hisself. Curses, thats what happens when we give him a rest!

Going home with the wind at our backs, fixed Pete undergeared now, & everyone spinning briskly and keeping more together. Had a wee dig at Cooden hotel, Stuart Crabbe was out supporting at the hotspot. Charlie Bell's Bikes had a dig up the South Cliff, whereupon Tadros countered, really trying and quickly opened up a gap, as he kindly pointed out later I only caught him up as he was undergeared and yes it took quite a long time to reach him and yes I was giving it everything. Needless to say on bridging I tucked in behind until he tired then showed him the old Malcolm Elliott at the last yard.

We stopped at Bexhill to regroup, Pete says he trains 10 hours a week, something like 200 miles - from his daily commute, our chaingang and a weekend ride - thats what it takes to win races! All I know is my sore legs would be glad of a rest after this "burns" night - (groan!) After our rest stop Malc and Pete zipped off over Galley Hill and we never caught them.

Steve Curtis says " I intend to do an early bird ride on sat 21 jan. This will be a modified version of the xmas ride that pete took us on. Distance is 40 miles with quite a lot of climbing
Meet opposite Hillcrest school, Rye road at 8:00am sharp, if forecast is dry
"




No comments:

Post a Comment