Thursday 1 March 2012

Leap Year Fixers, Shifters & Switchers Wednesday 29 February Chaingang

A fine day and dry roads turned out 19 riders - six on fixed.  Ivan set an early pace that was tough to match, having posted a 1:06 - on his fixed gear hack (!)  at the Eastbourne Rovers 25 mile time trial on Sunday.   John had also posted a very credible 1:03 in his first 25 and  attacking on Spooky Hill nearly trimmed the  hedge with a bit of a speed wobble.  Matt fresh from the turbo and Malcolm going well too.   Front group of seven or so stayed together pretty much till Pevensey where John and Matt led out some hopeful poachers.  The next dozen rocked up  hot on our heels.

On the return I dropped my glove and had to chase for ages to catch up - got on just before Spooky hill, breathless and needing a little rest on the back, no time for that but just managed to bridge as the bunch broke in two going up the hill,  hung on the back till we saw Stuart at the roadside, think I reached him first with Nathan closing fast, then Nathan went to the front,  then me, then Matt "doing a Snake" all over the lane to stop me getting on his wheel, of course I sat up and had a grumble about this as the group shot past.  "I was spinning so fast I thought I was getting a face hernia" Matt on 46 x 16.

For anyone thinking about doing the Cat 4 and Cat 3 Eastbourne GP Criterium coming up on 19 or 20 May  here's some handy tips :  Dave Lloyd Road Racing Tactics

No comments:

Post a Comment