Sunday 19 August 2012

lewes Prison- Downs Ride 19 August



Today was supposed to be the hottest day of the year with warning of plus 30 degree temperatures so we were all smothered in high factor sun cream. Setting off from Firle onto the steep road leading up to the Downs, was a bit of a shock to the system, it certainly was a relief to get to the top. From here it was South Downs all the way until we left the Downs and cycled down the road to Sussex University followed by the ride through Stanmer park and up to Ditchchling Beacon. From here is the most enjoyable part of the ride with the long long decent down to lewes ending up passing lewes prison. This is where Jon's lack of suspension really went against him as the path ends up being very rocky. We had a cafe stop in Lewes, the GPS showing just 8 miles to go. Unfortunately the last 8 miles contained two very difficult hills. First of all the climb up from kingston to the top of the downs. This is steep and chalky, I have never been able to cycle up it even when I was young but Paul b and Ivan managed it while myself and jon had to get off and push part of the way. After this there was only one major climb between us and home- Rodmell hill. Anyone who knows this hill realises what a b*****d hill this is. I have always manged it before on my hard tail but I couldnt quite make it today on my full suspension, maybe the bit of bobbing was robbing me of that little bit of energy I needed or maybe I am just a year older. After this is was easy riding back to the cars.
S.C

No comments:

Post a Comment