Wednesday 2 January 2013

Southborough Wheelers New Year's Day Ten

I am not sure whether riding the New Year's day ten marks the end of 2012 season or the start of the 2013.  However, three of us were down to start, with Tim Miles and David Connor being the other hardy souls.  I had visions of the Hastings winning their first team award, as  there was no real competition; well if you discount the Yates family (6 riders), including ex Tour de France yellow jersey holder Sean, plus PMR@cing, we would have had a good chance.  Anyway dreams shattered as I was the only one brave enough (or stupid enough or perhaps the only "billy no mates" so not out celebrating the New Year) to ride.

It was a lovely morning, with the early rain drying and a surprisingly warm morning.  I did a 26:49, which I was pleased with as I had only managed 36 training miles in December.  There is deliberately no photo of me as I now have an unattractive aero bulge - training starts tomorrow.  Steve Berry beat Connell Yates by 58 seconds and did a 21:28, and improved on last year's event record by 10 secs.

Depending on the weather I may venture out for the Kent Vets ten at Harrietsham on 9 March or if a couple of you fancy dragging a fat old man for 25 miles there is the KCA 3 up Team Time Trial on the 10 March.  Otherwise, weather permitting, I will see some of you at the ESCA Hardriders.  I suspect Chris will be badgering us nearer the time to enter the events.

No comments:

Post a Comment