Monday 11 March 2013

Red Kite Day - Sussex Puncheur Sportive, Sunday 10th March

Simon Grogan writes "Ditchling sports ground was HQ for the Sussex Puncheur Sportive. Friendly and relaxed organisers, free food before, mid-ride and after as well, marked route and no rain. All the right ingredients, the rest was up to me.
Red Kite by Thomas Kraft
You set off when you wanted after getting your timing chip scanned. The times were gold for sub 4hr, silver sub 4hr 30 and bronze for sub 5hr, for the 66 mile course finishing with a steep climb up Ditchling Beacon. I rode with three Eastbourn Rovers lads, Dave, Adam and Sam who were going for a gold time having got silver last year in filthy weather. After about 20 miles I got stomach cramps (first time ever) and not feeling too good got dropped in Ashdown Forest. Kept going and had pretty much recovered by the time I got to the feed station. The other lads were still there so I grabbed a quick snack and carried on with them feeling much better.
The days highlight came at Barcombe with a Red Kite gliding over us, my first in Sussex a beautiful sight and one I think will become more common. Back to the riding, the pace was fairly brisk, Sam got dropped then I went out the back with about 8 miles to go. Got to the bottom of Ditchling Beacon feeling tired but not fazed by the climb thanks to the Friday night chain-gang and Stonestile Lane finishes. Got to the top and had my timing chip scanned and was given my time on a print-out, 3hrs 58m so scraped a gold time with two minutes to spare. Finished the morning off back at HQ with free pasta and drinks. An interesting course and one I would recommend, I hope to do it again."

No comments:

Post a Comment