Thursday 19 December 2013

18 Dec HSLCC Chaingang - Seven Brave The Storm

If you've been watching the weather forecast this week, you'll know we were expecting a windy Wednesday.  And so it was that I set off for Bexhill seafront wondering if anyone else would be as daft as me.  I had some hairy moments and nearly turned back, but I pressed on to find six other 'bloody silly buggers' (thanks Stuart) gathered at the shelter.

Some of us questioned the wisdom of doing the ride, but as we'd made the effort to get out we decided to go for it.  We agreed it was a night to ride more moderately, stay together and give each other space when passing.  With southerly winds of 30 to 50 mph, gusts veering around buildings and steaming out of side roads, this was a difficult ride that demanded full concentration and discipline.

It was a bit easier once we got away from the town centre but obviously still tricky with such a strong, gusty side wind.  We stuck together as a group until Herbrand Walk (Cooden Corner was interesting...) and then Kie and I formed 'Team Smith' whilst the others made more headway.  To stay upright on Herbrand I used opposite lock ie if you want to stay left, turn right, as leaning in to a gusty wind can be unreliable in such changeable conditions.  I was most intent on staying upright and cautious on the corners; my hip is still painful from the off the other week.

Having Fun Even In Atrocious Weather!
The turn at the wood yard saw the rain arrive - sharp, stinging glass-like splinters that lashed my left hand side.  The odd leaf flashed horizontally through my torch beam but mostly I was in a small, dark world of roaring wind and water.  Spooky Hill was not too bad and we pedalled on through the mayhem to make the roundabout.  We didn't hang about!  Back we came, with the usual split developing between the faster and slower riders on the way back up Spooky Hill.  Tom stopped at the top and turned back for home, shelter and sanity in Eastbourne.

'Team Smith' reformed for the descent, but I could see that Kie was too far left - he'd hit the big pot hole if he didn't move out.  I shouted several times but the wind tore the sense from my words and all he heard was noise.  Thump!  Straight through the hole and out the other side, losing his water bottle.  I was amazed he stayed on and he now knew why I was shouting.  'Do you want to go back for the bottle?' I bellowed, but again I made no sense to him and he twigged too late to turn back.  We caught another rider when the level-crossing barriers came down and then did more sideways riding down Herbrand, before turning into a fierce headwind on Cooden Drive that was then more with than against us for the drag into town.  There was time for a quick team photo and then we all headed home - really not a night for hanging around.

I presume everyone made it back safely.  With hindsight, conditions were rideable but marginal. Had the wind been a little stronger or gustier, I think most of us would've stayed at home.  But I knew I can't ride again until Sunday, so I was determined to get out.  Christmas panic is mounting as I see mountains of food ahead of me and reduced chances to ride, as family descend for festivities...  Next chain gang will be New Years Day, I think.  Merry Christmas everyone.

Neil Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment