Sunday 1 December 2013

30/11 Early Bird- Sandhurst Circular With Wooden legs

Dean Needn't Have Worried About Keeping Up
Nick swaps Ally For Carbon!
During the summer I plotted a new ride going as far North as Sandhurst. This route did not score well as there were some unpleasant dangerous road sections. I still thought that the ride had some potential but needed modifying. This modified version would  then be the route we would be following. Nick was there on his new carbon Willier, also present was Mike who has only just started riding again recently after three months off due to being knocked off by a horse box. Mike had brought along his friend, Dean. Dean was a bit apprehensive about keeping up but needn't have been as I was me who would struggle on this ride.Paul K completed our little group of five riders. Nick has been doing a lot of training lately in order to get ready for another epic ride into Europe next spring. It was soon clear that Nick's fitness was at least one notch above the rest of us but Nick was happy to stay with us as he would be branching off on his own once he got to Cripp's Corner. My legs felt a bit stiff but this is normal for me so I fully expected them to improve once we got warmed up. The hills on this route were relentless, there seemed to be almost no flat sections, not surprising when there is 4,300 feet of climbing in just 47 miles! I found the long drag from Robertsbridge to Brightling really tough, instead of improving , my leg muscles were aching more and more. After struggling up the long drag of Netherfield Hill , it was a welcome relief to fly down the three kilometre decent down to Battle. On the decent we passed a small group of cyclists, at first we thought they were 'bacon butties' but it turned out they were a local group known as the 'Cooden Casuals' . I got chatting to one of them and made contact via Strava so potentially we may have gained some new riders? Dean and Mike broke away from myself and Paul at Battle. There was only about 7 miles to go but on taking the dogs leg at Powdermill lane to ascend the minor road to Crowhurst my legs were refusing to work. This was the closest I have come in a very long time to having to get off and walk. I managed to keep going and when I caught up with Paul, he suggested I eat something. I didn't feel hungry but eating my one remaining snack bar did revive me a little. Thankfully there were more downs than ups remaining to get back to Hastings but we only had 25 minutes to make it to Witherspoons for our planned breakfast. Flying down the descents more recklessly than usual was shaving a few minutes off our time and was giving me more momentum for the next climb, but despite this, by the time we reached the old Grove school we only had around 12 minutes to get to the town centre. Rather take the flat road along the coast into town we cut through St leonards and got there with just four minutes to spare (which the girl serving us gleefully informed us). I was really pleased with how this route turned out , the roads were in surprisingly good condition and with all the hills its an interesting /demanding 5* route. I think my wooden legs may be due tot he fact that I have finally given up sugar and my body hasn't quite adjusted yet, I do hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment