Saturday 18 January 2014

17/1 HSLCC Friday Night Ride- We Love The Rain

Not To Be Deterred By Rain!
Just three of us turned up for the Friday night ride (myself, Simon G and Kie); everyone else had been put off by the rain which had only just stopped. More heavy rain was forecast later but we hoped to be back before it really got going. With only three of us we stayed in tight formation down Battery Hill and across into the nature reserve. By now the rain had started and was getting progressively worse. With only a wind proof on, I was starting to get cold. Fortunately I had brought my trusty old regatta water proof with me so we made a brief stop so that I could switch tops. What a difference it made, I now felt warm and toasty. On reaching Rye we had a choice: carry up to Broad Oak or take the ‘Battery Hill Classic’ route back to where we started. Having already got wet and now nicely warmed up we decided on the former and rode together with Kie and Simon towing me up to broad Oak. The rain was even heavier by now and the decent towards Brede had to be taken with care, as did the Stonestile ascent as there were so many puddles it was hard to tell if there was a hidden pothole underneath. Stonestile itself was surprisingly easy as all the road water made for a smooth lower friction ride. Despite getting soaked we all felt a lot better for the exercise and looked forwarded to getting home and drying out.

Possibly Our Wettest Ascent Of Stonestile?

No comments:

Post a Comment