Friday 17 January 2014

HSLCC Chaingang 15/1- Legs Eleven

Normal service is resumed - a wet and windy Wednesday chain gang left the protection of the shelter at 19:34, heading into a consistent and strong breeze from the port-bow quarter (that's smack into your left-hand cheek for the non-sailors). A tough outward leg ensued for the 11 rider group with the wind more agin' than with us. As usual, the tricky bit was negotiating the swirling wind around the buildings and side roads of Bexhill, as well as some nasty potholes near the second zebra crossing. The council should do something!

The faster group stretched away from the steady-Eddies on Western Parade and South Cliff, making admirable pace down Cooden Drive and along Herbrand Walk. Personally, I struggle into headwinds and I had an off-night more generally, not able to find the will to press on. That's how it goes sometimes - you know if you're 'on it' or not and last night was a 'not' night.

The wind was howling across Spooky Hill and the road was wetter than I expected, and although the rain held off I would've preferred the rain to yet more bloody wind. There was also more traffic than usual. The roads and lanes echoed with our shouts of 'CAR' and 'ANOTHER CAR', with the odd 'LORRY' thrown in. Concentration is key when riding fast in the dark, so the shouts do help to keep each other alert. I wonder what the regulars of the Star Inn make of our repeating shouts of 'CLEAR' as we cross the narrow bridge there?

The 11 riders regrouped at Pevensey Roundabout and smartly began the return leg. The wind was not much help initially, but as we turned more easterly we got the benefit of the south-westerly blast, first along Herbrand Walk and then along Cooden Drive. The second group, where I most usually reside, enjoyed some competitive jousting for position in this wind-assisted section. The near-full moon made an appearance through a thin veil of cloud, lighting the slick road a soft, shiny silver.

I confess that Tom and I may have breached riding etiquette at Cooden Corner by stealing the lead and streaking off. I plead ignorance but Simon put me right when we stopped. Sorry John! Fat lot of good it did us as we were both overhauled before the lights by four others. We all paused longer than usual for a chat at the lights, enjoying a breather and swapping banter. You will all be pleased to know that the excellent Stuart Hodd has recovered from his bout of influenza by engaging in brisk cycling. Stout fellow! Rule #5 applies.

Before we went our separate ways, Tom tried on my Altura raincoat (I was over-dressed but not too hot - another sign that I was not on top form) and announced himself suitably impressed with the fit and quality. I see a lot of riders wearing them and I've been pleased with mine. You can get last years model for less, I think, with only small differences between it and this years version.

That's it - I rode a circuit back, partly with Tom, before blazing down Sutherland Avenue at a good pace, snagging second place on the segment, a few kph behind Mr Mark Edwards. I'll get you yet, matey...



Best regards, Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment