Thursday 20 March 2014

19/3 HSLCC Chaingang- Smooth Rolling!

With three of my last four chain gang rides sabotaged by punctures, I was determined to get round without having stop, flip the bike over, take out the wheel, inconvenience another rider, repeat x3. Infuriating!

I made it to the shelter without incident and before long an expectant group of 20 riders had gathered, ready to fight their way to Pevensey through a fairly stiff south-westerly breeze. For the first time in many months the roads were totally dry and I think some potholes might've been filled - shock!

The excellent Stuart Hodd arrived, sounding very chipper and looking rather dapper, clearly as excited as I was to be on the bike and ready to rumble. As Wednesday afternoon rolls towards early evening, I get butterflies in the stomach in anticipation of the ride, especially if it's not raining. It's a real buzz to make swift and safe progress in the dark, cool air filling my lungs, a pool of light dragging me forward and riding in good company.
The Chaingang pauses At Pevenesy!

We set off more or less in one group, making steady progress along Bexhill front. A faster group began to stretch a lead by the time we reached South Cliff, with me hanging on the back, but they soon upped the pace. I then stayed with a small group that did a good job of rotating the lead across the marshes - a great way to make progress into the wind. At least we would have a wind-assisted return leg.

I managed to stay with the main group most of the way up Spooky Hill (this is progress) before having some hassle with an impatient mini driver near the crest. I don't think they liked my slowing-down signal at the Star Inn bridge, but I think some politely assertive riding is prudent. I watched the car push through the group taking more risks than they should, rather than pass more safely. Best to get out of the way if they really want to get through - there's only one winner if a car hits a bike.

I fell into another small group which reduced to just me and John at the start of Cooden Drive, again taking it in turns on the front, before the last hard push towards the lights saw us make our best individual efforts. Once we were all assembled, most people set off for the pub. Sober souls such as Tom & myself hung around a bit, reflecting that perhaps we need a Bexhill pub for the local & Eastbourne contingent, but I'm a complete lightweight and wouldn't trust myself on the bike after a half-shandy... I'll have an orange juice. Great.

I managed a good average for me and, even better, no punctures! I'm not sure what I can attribute this to. I'd put back on the bike it's original wheels, tyres and tubes - Giant P-SL1s. They're the same weight as my Ultegra wheels with Continental tyres and ride very nicely. Good grip from the tyres and stiff, smooth-rolling wheels. The rims on the Ultegra's are quite worn after a year and 4,000+ miles of riding. Winter riding has accelerated the wear but now spring is with us, with more daylight, warmer air and dryer roads. Roll-on next Wednesday

Neil
Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment