Sunday 31 August 2014

31/8 Lewes Loop Off Road

Just three of us, myself, Paul and Malcolm D were up for a new version of the Lewes loop today. This was a tough  off road ride that was going to pack in a lot of climbs within its modest 32 miles. Straight from the car park we were confronted with the climb up to Firle beacon, this was tough with cold leg muscles but at least it was on tarmac and we soon joined the SDW.
Escaped Cows On The SDW!
Malc Enjoying Some Sun!
The Super Steep Kingston Climb!
We have ridden along the SDW towards kingston so many times that we were on auto pilot along this easy undulating section. Our only problem was getting past a large Hereford bull and his harem of heifers that had escaped a nearby field (broken fence) .A bit distracted, we managed to miss the turning that would take us down to the A27 .Having corrected our mistake we enjoyed the rapid descent towards this busy road before crossing safely across the bridge to reach the northern side of the SDW. Now we would have to reclaim all the height we had lost. Paul was impressed with the improvements to the track surface here, with the mass of rabbit holes now all filled in by cinder. Just as well, as this was a steep climb which eventually forced me to get off and walk for a short while. Taking a dogs leg  I made a navigation error and missed a turn by following what seemed to be the obvious way on a  wide clay track, just the sort of wide path  I enjoy. Next thing I know my front wheel has slipped away from me and I am sliding down the track trying to avoid hitting my head on the ground. Finally I came to a stop and waited a moment for the tell tale rush of pain that would have informed me of a broken collar bone, wrist or ankle. Much to my surprise the pain never came, I had gotten away with my tumble and even the bike was OK. All I had were a few bruises and lacerations to show for 
my spectacular slide! It wasn't surprising I had lost the wheel as the damp clay proved itself to be lethal, it was difficult even walking on it let alone riding. Rather than risk  going back along the clay, we cut straight across a field of wheat stubble and joined the track we should have taken. This was much better although some concentration was still required as this was true single track (not my cup of tea). Heading North we eventually rejoined the SDW at Plumpton. Now began one of our favourite descents as gravity pulled us all the way down to Lewes coming out along side the prison. The only thing spoiling the fun were the parts of the track that have become so deeply rutted that if your front wheel brushes the side, it will try to pull you sideways and off. 
Malc Beats The White Climb To Kingston
The promised sun finally appeared after our (expensive!) cafe stop in Lewes. Hopefully we now had enough energy in the tank for the last two remaining challenges of the 'white climb' past kingston and the ascent of the massive bulk of Itford hill (Rodmell).
Only One More Major Climb Left!
 As usual the kingston hill was way past my ability to ride but at least gave me the chance to capture some action shots of Malc and Paul. Itford hill was tough but I managed to grind my way up there using my extra low granny gear. After descending back to Firle we decided to treat ourselves to some delicious beer. The blonde beer that myself and paul tried was fantastic, Ivan would have been in his element!


No comments:

Post a Comment