Friday 20 February 2015

Wednesday Night Chain Gang


A busy Wednesday at least goes quickly and I was soon checking tyres, lights and brakes before setting out for the shelter rendezvous.

Welcome To George And Howard, More Recruits For The 'Supers'!
There was a lively buzz of banter and faces old and new to take in. Amongst them, it was great to see George Welfare and Howard Shaw, two riders I rode with as the 'Road Junkies', having met through Strava. It was with them that I did my first group riding. For the record, both are strong riders who when fully fit will give the Wednesday chain gang a fresh challenge.


Tom's 'Bianchi Bomber' Back Up!
Conditions were good, with a little more wind from the south west than I thought (there always is), but it was pretty damn good for February. I think we were 18 riders in all, with the new faces filling the places of those who had ridden the 200km audax that day, John V and John S amongst them. Tom N was present on a replacement steel-steed, the bottom bracket on his Bianci having finally given up the ghost and new parts yet to be fitted. And, it is rumoured, new wheels will also make an appearance... We will see a rejuvenated 'Bianci Bomber' again soon, sporting Campag instead of the oh-so-common Shimano. I like your style Tom.

The chain gang Grand Depart was an untidy affair but we soon sorted into a long string of riders with the Ultras leading the charge, before we were again stopped at the De La Warr. At least the lights have changed to the other side of the road; perhaps the job will be done by Easter?

Off we sped around the south corner of the Sackville Road roundabout and then along Bexhill's Western Parade. All seemed well but something odd became apparent - we were keeping pace with the Ultras. Were we having a good night or were they riding a bit easier than of late? A bit of both I think - I felt in good form but even so I don't think they were going at the usual speed. Simon G and I discussed the pace and then I saw the fabulous Stuart H signal on Cooden Drive for riders to rotate. I followed Alex and Howard down the outside, taking a turn at the front - it was a brisk pace but I was coping, just! It's been a few weeks since I have managed this and it felt good, whether the better riders were going slower or not. Who cares?

By Herbrand Walk the 'gulf in class' began to show, as they say, with the group splitting into two and a good number of riders passing me. But the crossing lights saved us by stopping the gang long enough to regroup. We stayed together as one as far as Spooky Hill when the Ultras again split away. I rode a two-up TT with Simon G, the lights of a rider dropped from the faster group were tantalisingly close but not quite reached.

Steve C arrived and turned us around promptly, now with a bit of wind behind us. Feeling cocky after my 'time at the top' on the way out, I rode in the front group, managing another turn at the front and staying with them as far as Spooky Hill, the slope again sorting the stronger riders from the rest. Not by much, I think, but enough to make a gap that is too hard for me to bridge. I lost touch with them, but paired up again with Simon G, riding at a good pace.

We caught a rider near the start of Herbrand Walk, who had slowed and stopped near the layby. We called to see if he was ok - "I think I've got a puncture" shouted Stuart H. We pressed on and Stuart soon sped by us, obviously having had a 'Phantom Flat', that annoying sensation of a bouncy back end, and I'm not talking Beyonce here. I know what Stuart means, it's funny how some road surfaces at certain speeds, or some other unknown factor, can lead you to think you've got a puncture coming, or a broken seat post if you are more pessimistic, or a broken frame if you are feeling really gloomy.

Simon and I worked together for the length of Cooden Drive, rotating the front and keeping the pace up. As we neared the last 500m or so, we jockeyed for position, each determined to arrive ahead of the other. Having finished just behind Simon last week, I was set on making the front and staying there. Near the park, I upped the effort and made some space between us, or so I thought. I pressed harder on the pedals, the lights coming into view with a gaggle of riders already arrived. I increased my speed but then heard the growing sound of stealthy Simon's tyres on tarmac, as he came alongside and gradually drew level.

I tried harder still, giving it the beans but I was also aware that we were running out of road. Simon was slowly coming past me and at the point when both of us slammed on the brakes, I think he had just the faintest of edges on me, perhaps just the thickness of a fag paper. Alex asked who had finished ahead and I said "I think it was a draw", but again Simon, I'll give you that one. By the way, I'm pleased you've fixed that squeak.

I rode back with Tom and Peter, the latter trying to explain his line about sausages in last week's blog, but we were none the wiser. I put my head down and rode the stretch back along Herbrand to Normans Bay at a faster pace than usual, feeling pretty fresh still. Should've tried harder when challenging Simon, you say! Perhaps so.

We paused at the turn to Normans Bay, now protected from invaders by three sets of gates and barriers (Ye Gods), and gazed at the stars in a crystal clear sky.

"You can see planets, I'm told" said Tom.

"Yes - Venus, Mars and Saturn I think, perhaps some others" said I.

"I can see Uranus" said Peter and started giggling.

Oh dear. And on that note, we made our separate nightly ways home, the air cooling, the road salty, the wind again at my back as I rode alone along the now deserted chain gang route. The spectators had gone home, leaving empty takeaway food litter and messages chalked on the road for their local heroes - 'Allez Stuart', 'Plus Vite Barney', 'Go Simon Go'. One day, I too will get a chalky message on the road, one day...

Regards, Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment