Thursday 10 November 2011

Dave learns some roadcraft, Chaingang Nov 9th

Simon and I were having a nice chat spinning along Bexhill seafront when some hooligan in a Fiat top and killer whale leggings jumps out and attacks, with big Mike, I mean big Shaun hot on his wheel.

I've done my turn on front - so I sit up and let them go. Three or four more flash by to give chase. Wait to see if anymore? No - OK - now its time to dig in hard as the gap is getting too big. Here we go again, busting a gut to get back on, survival of the suffering-est.

After Cooden Beach I was hanging onto just Matt and Shaun, in fact Matt lost ground at Herbrand Walk and had to chase hard to get back on. They were strong, I felt like I was going to blow up but somehow hung on. Finally Shaun went clear, just rode away from us, then stopped to wait at the Star pub. Mercy? No, a dim headlight and " I get bored riding on my own, I like to be sociable" Maybe mercy then, or a cat toying with an injured mouse before the inevitable kill.

Matt did the rest of the hard work till the end, where Shaun feigned a jump to get 2nd wheel, then actually went, I jumped after and hung on some more until he tired, then came round in the last yard, feeling cheap. "Poachers!" shouted Matt as he rolled up in third place. "Dave isn't it?" Shaun says to me. "No, Chris" I say. "You really should do some road" says Shaun.

Return leg - bunch left early while I was still chatting to Ivan and Malc who had a mechanical with his cleat, I excused myself swiftly and had to chase like a dog for 2 or 3 miles to get back on, just as the bunch reached Spooky Hill where a move often goes. No blood left in my brain by this point so rest is a blank until closing on Matt and Shaun again as we approach Bexhill.

Matt is doing the work again, Shaun sitting on 2nd wheel, and I'm hiding behind Barry, I mean Shaun. This time Barry slows a smidgeon, just gently eases me out the back, then stands up and crunches the pedals to sprint, later he'll generously explain that this is a bit of tactical roadcraft to use against an opponent, but at the moment I'm in such a zombie state I don't really notice, just follow the wheel, the wheel!

Shaun's gears slip on the second stroke and he bangs his knee hard on the frame, I'm thinking S***! last two times I did that I went right over the bars and my elbows and knees were well bloodied up. And I'm right on his wheel! But its OK this time - he keeps it going, then gets tired and then thats when I make my move and come round, after the efforts done, in the last yard, feeling . . . well, you get the picture,
don't you, Dave?

23 riders. Average speed out : 21.7mph with a bit of a tailwind.
Back: 21.5mph and for sure a headwind.

No comments:

Post a Comment