Tuesday 10 April 2012

REMEMBERING ALF ENGERS


Fantastic to find we have a descendent of the magnificent Alf Engers in the local cycling community and yes Jon, he really was something special and a really big name in the 1960s when I was racing. I knew his father- in- law quite well who kept me up to date with his exploits but the last time I actually spoke to the man himself was 27th June 1969 when he turned up to ride a Polytechnic CC evening 10 on the old St Albans F4 course. He rode it as a 2-up with, according to my notes Alan Shorter, although I’m not entirely convinced, but whoever it was they did a 20 something and made it look like a club run. According to my diary I did a 24.43 on a Pat Hanlon track bike riding 86” fixed. I only ever did two more 10s racing mainly 25s until the Hill Climb season started in October but packed for good when I met my wife to be in the 100 Club in Oxford Street in Nov 69.

In 1997 I was persuaded to give time trialling another go and did a 10 on the Pevensey course but very nearly packed in again straight afterwards as it was so bloody painful. They say if you remember the 60s you weren’t really there so I enclose a picture of myself from those far off days just to prove I was.

Tim Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment