Tuesday 4 September 2012

KCA 12 Hour


Chris has mentioned the KCA 12 in various communications over the last few weeks.  It was held on Sunday (2nd September) and Chris and I were out helping. 

This was one of the better years for weather.  In 2011 Chris battled around the course.  Through the wind and rain.  At one point I found him lounging in the damp grass at Brenzett tucking in to food from his box of goodies that had been transported from the event HQ to a spot by the garage.  He was not his usual chatty self – although I can understand how he felt.  I was not brave enough to photograph him in the grass but as you can see he was hardly dressed for a summer afternoon ride – which 2011 was very much not.  Chris did 163 miles. 6 hours and 13 minutes for the first 100 miles, but the end was quite tough.  He was not last.  He did nearly 200 miles in 2006.

The picture was taken on the finishing circuit.  After riding around for about 9 hours the competitors finish their time on a 9-10 mile circuit with timekeepers placed every mile or two.  Your final distance is calculated from the time passed between the two timekeepers where your 12 hours finishes.

It is not always bad weather and this year it was very pleasant.  No rain and not too much wind.  There is a great atmosphere as there are hundreds of people about, although the Little Chef has closed at Brenzett so food is a problem.  We have no choice now but to use one of the many pubs.  As for next year, I mentioned to Chris about a team when I met up with him at the hall afterwards, and there seemed to be a few in the club that he thought could do the 12.  I don't know whether this is right but I believe the 12 Hour Team record is 692 miles from 1962, and Vic Butler still holds the individual record with 244 miles from 1986.  Perhaps in 2013 we could get a team together to ride - who knows I might even manage to persuade my mother to let me compete?

No comments:

Post a Comment