Saturday 13 October 2012

Friday Night Ride 12/10- Broken Hanger

Time To Ring The Missus
Lovely night for a Friday Broad Oak night ride, my first for four weeks. No wind and good dry weather after the heavy showers earlier in the afternoon. I got dropped going down battery hill as it was a really dark night and I was a bit wary going down on damp roads but caught up with the others just before the turn off for the reserve. On the long drag up to broad oak I got dropped (as usual) and without Derek there to keep me company, resigned myself to a lonely ride up to the top. However, this was not to be, as before long I came across Steve B, Jon S and Simon G at the side of the road. Steve was going no further as just like Duncan in France his rear derailleur hanger had snapped leading to the gears getting all tangled up with the chain. There was nothing for it but for Steve to ring up the missus for a lift home but getting a signal this far down the road is easier said than done and Steve had to cross over to the other side and walk up a bit before he could get a decent signal. This led to lots of agitated barking by a pair of dogs belonging to one of the houses on the side of the road and the owner popping out to investigate. We left Steve and rode together to Broad Oak and then on to Stonestile lane. Fortunately any debris on the road had been cleared and we had a safe ascent to the top with myself getting dropped yet again (missing the extra low gear on my triple geared SCR).

No comments:

Post a Comment