Friday 19 October 2012

Rain Gang 8 - 18th October

 40% chance of rain it said on XC weather  . . .  at ten to seven the rain was bouncing off the deck in buckets - too heavy " No way I'm going out in that " but by seven o' clock the worst had passed over to the East.  So I quickly got ready and set off. The forecast obviously meant I  had a 60% chance of staying dry, I told myself rather optimistically.

Found some shelter behind a bus, but it was rather  slow antique one; Happy Harold  - so was late for start - again - but maybe no-one else has turned out? As icy drizzle pebble-dashed my South face I was comforted by the thought of all our fast racers summer fitness ebbing away on the sofa.  So when I got to the roundabout 12 miles later, surprised to find six strong cyclists waiting, was my happiness tempered with the tiniest drop of disappointment? Not at all, on the other side of a  heavy rain shower, I was glad of the company  and looking forward to the usual habble on the home run.
They told me seven riders had started out together but one had bailed, during the rain perhaps. Simon still had his shorts on " I dont feel the cold" he said, must have titanium knees. Once warmed up I don't mind the wet, it was still mild 12 or 13 degrees. Its only on stopping that the chill sets in.  An unruly Southerly with violent buffeting gusts helped us on the return leg - as Strava speed graph shows. Watch out for temporary traffic lights just over the brow of the hill on Cooden Drive approaching Bexhill.

With hindsight I realised what the forecast was actually trying to tell us was that it definitely would rain, for at least 40% of the ride, overshoes and mudguards kept feet dry for a while but by the time I got home I was certainly much more than 40% wet, having been out for nearly two hours, still as long as I  kept moving, I was quite comfortable and didn't feel too cold.

"A good effort and a good training ride" said Nathan.  Well done all seven or eight who braved  a rough night for an enjoyable run.

No comments:

Post a Comment