Saturday 2 February 2013

Fri Night broad Oak Ride- Stonestile Sufferring

A UFO? No, A Knackered Cyclist!
Good weather for a change with almost no wind so despite a low temperature it didn't feel anywhere near as cold as last Friday. Simon was on his fixie so for once I had someone to ride behind on the way down Battery Hill but once we reached the levels I was soon dropped by the others. Having regrouped at Rye Harbour we set off up the long drag to Broad Oak. I was feeling feeling pretty good and found it much easier than last week. I didn't stop at the top and floated past telling the others to catch me up. Simon and Jon S didn't catch me until Doleham lane. Simon was a bit weary of going up Stonestile on his fixie, what sort of condition was it going to be in after the ice and rain? Jon S wasn't going as well as normal, probably a mixture of coming off a long shift and overdoing it on the weds chain. The tree lined approach to Stonestile has a special climate all to itself; gloomy, misty and the air smelled a bit rotten (probably lots of rotting vegetation behind the trees), it was a relief to leave the gloom behind and reach the more open road on the climb itself. Jon was really struggling on the hill and for once, I managed to get to the top before him and had time to get out the camera and record his suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment