Sunday 9 June 2013

7/6 Fri Chain.Thoroughly modern men. By Stuart Hodd

We had a good turnout of 8 riders for the Friday chain gang this week even though some went mountain biking at bewl.

When I arrived at fairlight Andy ( stretch ) foster and Dan H were already there and it wasn’t long before all had gathered including retro brothers Deeble and Watson and we were ready for the off. I held back for a change on the decent of battery hill so I could see what was happening. Retro brothers ( d and w ) went for it with Watson gaining Kom for having the biggest balls… don’t think this man can be beaten on a decent. Simon ( wobbly ) G had a massive moment too on the same decent hitting a bump and unclipping his left peddle which produced the mother of all tank slappers which incredibly he managed to hold and not end the evening in a and e!

1970, S.England
We continued across the levels at a decent pace considering the strong cross-headwind and soon arrived in Rye where the chatter gave way to some tactical maneuvering for the Rye to Broad Oak race…! We all stayed together up the first hill at a brisk pace with myself, the retro brothers, Dan H and John V heading this strong group of riders. At about the half-way point I noticed there was four of us ( myself, the retro’s and Dan H ) left with all of us putting in some good efforts at the front. Then for the last mile it was myself against the 1970,s attired Deeble and Watson. I found myself at the front on the last incline into Broad Oak which was somewhere I didn’t want to be and payed for this mistake as the 1970,s had recovered behind me enough to unleash their sprints on the final run in. Watson edged it in the end with Deeble half a bike length behind and me about 3 bike lengths from him.

It wasn’t long before the rest joined us and we set off again having said goodbye to one half of the retro brothers ( Deeble ) as he was playing a gig probably supporting the village people or Leo Sayer and had to ride to Ashford to meet his wife. On the approach to Stonestile I commented on how dark it was getting for a sunny summers evening when John and Simon ( wobbly ) G reminded me that I still had my dark sun glasses on! On taking these of I realized it was in fact still a sunny summers evening!

2013 Cyclists
Lets get this straight, I hate Stonestile! But… it is a climb and has to be attacked. So attack I did! Passing even the lone retro brother Watson on the way up only for strava to go mad and put him faster up the hill than me. Think I was on for a pb too! We all ascended well though I did hear Andy ( stretch ) F swearing at his gears a couple of times.

We all said our goodbyes and went our separate ways. I rode with Watson back down old London road where he set the most epic kom I have ever seen! The man IS THE DEMON DECENDER. ( note. All within the 30 mph limit ).

This was another great Friday chain gang which is run every week through the year now so lets keep the numbers up and the competition and fun alive!

Stuart
Stonestile warriors

No comments:

Post a Comment