Saturday 23 November 2013

20/11 HSLCC Chaingang

I watched the temperature steadily drop through the afternoon from 5 or 6 degrees to 1.2... Oh dear, would this mean an icy ride, a nice back-end slip on a bend across the marshes, or losing the front on the sharp left opposite the Cooden Beach Hotel? Only one way to find out and besides, I had a new front light and jacket to test.

My Second HSLCC chaingang (Neil Smith)
Eleven intrepid souls gathered in the cold, now accompanied by light sleety rain and a gusty north-westerly breeze. I counted two single-speed bikes and lots of steel frames, but I think no carbon frames - a bit of a surprise. Riding an aluminium bike, for once, felt quite exotic. Roads were wet and had plenty of standing water, especially on the marsh section, but it was quite manageable. I'm still learning names, but I recall meeting Tom, Steve, Barney, Simon - and Ivan who was telling a story about cycling from Cornwall via Bristol with only one knee. Maybe I heard that wrong. Apologies to the others whose names I was told but which I cannot remember. If you need this report as an alibi, you'd better tell Steve quick.

Six riders built a decent lead on the outward leg and I settled into a smaller (and slower) group that did its best to catch them. I got dropped on Spooky Hill but I managed to reel in one rider before the roundabout. We were all eager to set off again before we got cold, so it was a quick turnaround to start the homeward leg. My cunning plan was to set off quickly and build an unassailable lead. This lasted a few minutes before the express group whistled by and swooped up the west slope of Spooky Hill (why is it called that?).

Simon and I fell into a friendly duel, interrupted in part by the Cooden level-crossing. He rode a lovely looking Genesis Flyer single speed (fixie?). I let him pass me several times so I could get a better look. The last leg along Cooden Drive saw us steadily increase pace as we passed the chap in the tartan cap (who IS he?) and negotiated fire engines on the upward slope. The downward slope provided relief from the smell of the house fire and for also from protesting legs. I think the rain had stopped some while back but I'd not really noticed until we stopped at the Sackville Road lights, with me panting over my handlebars after making a big effort. The fast group had caught their breath and were busy chatting as I pulled away to ride home the long way after an enjoyable session.

By the way, the new front light was great. It makes a difference if you can can see where you are going... It's a Moon 500. A good strong beam and decent spread, with four power settings and a flashing mode (too bright). The coat also performed well. It's an Altura Night Vision and it was perfect for the weather last night. I particularly like the waterproof front pocket that will easily hold a phone and money. There is a good-size rear pocket and a small round rear light neatly stitched into the zip flap. My old coat was also an Altura that has lasted 10 years, although it seems very old fashioned compared to the new coat. Both bits of kit recommended.



Regards, Neil Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment