Thursday 28 November 2013

HSLCC Chaingang 27 November

In comparison to recent weeks, this Wednesday evening was relatively warm at around 7 degrees C.  It was not much drier, with in places a heavy mist that was almost drizzle and some rain on my ride home afterwards.  Roads were wet but mostly puddle-free.  However, there was no wind to speak of, so any improved times would solely be down to leg power!

14 riders assembled at the shelter, all waiting for Steve to arrive and lead us out.  At 19:36 (tut, tut) it was decided to leave without him, so off we went with two more late arrivals doing quick u-turns to join the peloton.  We made good progress past the De La Warr, along Western Parade, South Cliff and on to Cooden Drive, largely staying as a single group.  Herbrand Walk saw the faster riders stretch away from me and a few others.  The top of Spooky Hill was the mistiest place on the ride, my front light shining a solid cone of smoky light and my front tyre throwing bright beads of water into the beam.

The return leg began without much delay with another neat peloton streaking through the marshes (great fun), with the faster crew not getting away from me and Kie until Herbrand Walk.  The array of flashing & strobing red lights, reflecting off the shiny wet road, looked like one of those strange deep sea creatures you occasionally see photographs of, with odd reflective limbs & luminous blobs waggling to lure unwary prey.  And then they were gone from sight until we rejoined Cooden Drive.

It's frustrating not to have the legs to keep up but I think I'm getting a bit faster.  I enjoy the ride regardless and it feels good to reach the traffic lights knowing you've pushed yourself and that I, hopefully, will be stronger next time.  I thought the group discipline was good, with lots of loud clear calls alerting others to hazards and generally making our presence more apparent.

I saw Kate, Kie, Simon & Tom and Strava tells me there was also Barney, Nigel, Mike, John & Peter.  I met Stuart at the end and thought him a man of great taste & intelligence.  Hope to meet you all again next week!

PostScript - Aldi-special kit review
Kie & I (aka the 'Smith Boys') were both modelling Aldi's bib longs.  I thought the material and seat pad felt thin but in use I've found them warm & comfortable.  Good value at £30.  I also wore the wool cycling socks and I think they are excellent - warm without being too hot and very comfortable.  I can't remember the price but I think it was less than £4 a pair.

Neil Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment