Sunday 9 February 2014

7/2 HSLCC Fri Night Ride- Time To Remember

After all the recent wind and rain it was a treat riding home from Bexhill, almost no wind and mild dry weather. Checking the weather forecast it looked like the next storm would arrive sometime around 11:00 pm, two hours after the friday night ride finishes, so should be OK for the Friday night ride. I arrived early at the Fairlight lodge so wasn't surprised that no none was there but after 15 minutes of sitting down on a soggy wooden log it was obvious that this was going to be a Friday night ride of one. I guess a mixture of bodily ailments and the impending approach of the next storm had taken its toll. Being on my own it didn't seem safe to do the normal Broad Oak route so decided to do the slightly shorter 'Battery Hill Classic ' instead. As I rode solo across the increasingly windy sea defences and through the harbour I thought back to 1992 when I first mapped out this simple ride , tackling it on an mtb with semi road tyres. I remembered the faces of the many riders of the past who have done this ride with me over the last 22 years. Most of them have moved away or fallen out of love for cycling. Some have passed away and are no longer with us. Of the original gang of riders ('Battery Hill Climbers' as we called ourselves) only myself, Paul B and PeteT are still riding. Turning left after the harbour road I was met by a full on head wind. A few months ago this would have bothered me but we are all so used to wind by now that it hardly seemed to matter as I ploughed on the long straight empty road. A nice slow but easy ascent of Battery Hill finished the task. Another useful 22 miles to add to Strava and yet another completion of my first ever route. Weather permitting I intend to be there next week, hopefully not on my own, LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment