Thursday 1 May 2014

30/4- So Long Sweet Chaingang 2013/14

The last chain gang of the 2013-14 season rolled-off with 27 riders in a party mood. Not quite in fancy dress, but definitely in high spirits with lots of chatter. A large and fast group formed quite early, whipping up a storm as they clattered past me and other 'steady' riders in a blur of spinning legs, cogs and wheels. Clearly on a mission.

The wind was strong enough to test the legs on the outward leg, but not unbearably so. As has often been the case on my chain gang rides, I fell in to a rotation with Simon along Cooden Drive and Herbrand Walk. We were caught by a small group on the marshes and things got messy before I pushed on for the roundabout. It was messier-still on the wind-assisted return leg, with a flurry of overtakes & attacks. One gentleman rider wheel-sucked me to the foot of Spooky Hill before zooming past. Do your turn buster!

From there, it was largely a solo ride for me at a steady pace, barely changing gear until the Cooden Beach Hotel turn & climb. As I crested the hill I could see the flashing tail lights of the faster riders riding up Cooden Bump. I'd blown my chances of getting closer to them with missed opportunities to overtake and tag on when the pace rose across the marshes. Once I lose the group and end up riding solo, I think I lose 15% of my speed. I don't have the legs to accelerate and catch up against that difference in speed. Something for me to work on there.

The ride ended at 'The Forum' in Devonshire Square, with most of the group stopping for a pint or a coffee. Steve Curtis had brought a bundle of locks to deter anyone from lifting the tangle of 20 or so bikes piled outside. Tom and I discussed wheel upgrades and 'funding strategies' that might not attract attention from loving partners. Talk was of the coming time trial season and of regret that the chain gang was, for now, ended. It would be good if it carried on all year, but as Simon said, it's having a break from it makes it special. I'm looking forward to the autumn already.

Lee makes It To His First Ever Chaingang!
Fortified with a pint of Guinness, I rode off intending to do an extra 10km or so, as is my habit. I decided I'd pop down Herbrand Walk again, but once I'd got that far I decided I'd carry on to Spooky Hill. And once I'd arrived there, I decided to keep going to the roundabout and repeat the chain gang one last time. Who needs EPO or Tramadol? Guinness works for me!

It was good to ride alone across the marsh with just my lights for company. I was joined by a bat as it swooped along the lane to the Star Inn. The sun had dropped below the horizon leaving a shrinking orangey-brown light behind lines of thin cloud. Above that, just visible through the confusion of clouds, the new moon was a slender cusp of faint light. I've never seen that before - the moon seemingly rising out of the sunset.

And that's the kind of memory the chain gang has given me - stunning evening and night skies, encounters with wildlife (animal and sometimes human, just) and a huge amount of fun. I'll also remember flogging into gale force six and seven winds and being stung by icy rain, fighting to keep the bike upright and maintain some sort of speed. Then thrashing back into Bexhill with the wind and rain at my back, water everywhere, sweating, gasping and exhilarated by the speed and physical struggle of riding in wild weather. There is pride in having ridden with just a few others mad enough to go out when, frankly, we should've been at home on the turbo or sofa. But where's the fun in that..?

I'll remember other rides for the frustration of punctures, mistakes or just being below par. But these are outweighed by the exciting memory of riding well in a small group, making efficient & swift progress, or by feeling I've learnt something that'll make me a better rider. What a buzz!

Right now, I am bereft. The chain gang has ended and all is ashes...

Neil Smith
Cheers! See You All Next Season!





No comments:

Post a Comment