Sunday 6 July 2014

6/7- HSLCC Club Ride, Wet Wittersham

Stuart Tries Unsuccessfully To Free up the Gear Cable!
With met office forecasting rain all morning it wasn't a surprise that only four riders showed up for the club ride from the Harrow. There was just myself, Lee, Malc C and Stuart. There was no way we were going to do the originally planned 'Mad jack' ride as it would be far too dangerous. Despite the rain there wasn't much wind so we decided to head out in the direction of the marshes instead. By the time we reached Ore I realised that Malcolm wasn't with us, thinking he had had a puncture I rung him up only to find out that somehow he had got dropped and thinking we had taken a turn off the ridge was now at the bottom of stonestile lane!  Malc decided to head off and do his own ride and so that just left the three of us. Stuart was having increasing problems with his gears jumping, myself and Lee diagnosed a sticking gear cable but despite our best efforts to improve it, nothing worked and Stuart had to abandon at Rye. This left just myself and Lee. Despite the rain increasing it didn't seem to bother us, as long as we stuck to non technical roads it was fine, in some ways I found I rather liked it as I am not overly fond of hot summer weather. We decided to do a mixture of the old Heidi memorial ride, the Jack frost ride with an extension over Wittersham thrown in for good measure. I was glad to have my flashing front light on as it was surprisingly dark at times and felt more like an autumn ride rather than high summer. Arriving at Staplecross we went our separate ways with lee heading up Marley lane to Battle while I had the trickier way back up to Westfield, Three oaks and Rock lane. This made a decent length ride of about 50 miles. It just goes to show that riding in persistent rain is fine as long as the route is safe enough and you have a waterproof. I will add this ride to my collection and leave it on the gps as a wet weather backup.

No comments:

Post a Comment