Sunday 20 July 2014

Dunwhich Dynamo 10 memorable Moments!

No 1 - The Apparition

The Start!
Puncturing whilst still in site of the 'Pub on the Green', the 'Angel' who appeared in front of me, offering me a Track Pump when I needed it most.

No 2 - Epping Forest

Feeling the warm, night-time breeze on my face and fueled by adrenalin we 'steamed' through Epping Forest overtaking massed groups of other cyclists.

No 3 - First Pub Stop

Being amazed at the number of cyclist who were drinking pints (some accompanying the beer with a 'fag') at the first pub stop (35 miles into the ride) - the place was absolutely 'heaving'!, I took a sip of water, 'tut-tutted' and pushed on.

No 4 - The Good Samaritan

The pure joy I felt when, after puncturing for the second time and standing alone in a dark lane, I realised the cyclist that passed me, did a 'U-turn' and offered his help, was Nigel!

No 5 - Finding The Source of my Punctures

Ten Miles To Go!
After the fourth puncture (I actually had 5, but the slime tube in the rear tyre fixed the problem after releasing a few PSIs.) a fellow cyclist helped me find the cause of my punctures - a piece of flint 2 atoms wide!. I Thanked him by paying his take-it-or-leave-it price of £8 for a tube - which didn't inflate!, luckily I called him back just in time to ask for a replacement.

No 6 - Boom Boxes

The humerous and quirky musical accompaniment from pannier-mounted 'boom-boxes'.  Loving the pure irony of the guy who had S&Gs 'Sound of Silence' blaring out as we passed through a village at 2am! (not making this up.)

The Finish!
No 7 - First Light

Feeling bewitched by the magic of dawn and watching as sillouhetted trees began filling with colour.  Not knowing, or caring what the time was, where I was , or how much further to go just added to 'the moment'.

No 8 - Arriving at The Ship Pub, Dunwich

Being met by Jon Stainsby whose first words were ' Well done, my dad's doing you a bacon sarnie'.

No 9 - The Bacon Sarnie
Diego!

The Sarnie!
Jon's dad Alan is a 'legend'.  The bacon had just the right amount of crispiness, and was, without doubt, the best sandwich I have ever eaten.

No 10 - The Other Legend

Mid-sandwich I watched in amazement as the guy on the 'Boris Bike' pulled into 'town' - the look on his face said it all - "Top that!" (although the guy on the BMX might well have!)

Peter Buss





No comments:

Post a Comment