Friday 11 July 2014

Gas And Air- The joys of racing!

It Was All Going So Well...!
Today I raced at Fowlmead in Kent. Last minute decision as mum and dad said they would have the boy and dog. It was a cat3/4 race so I was in with a chance of some points and with a £500.00 1st prize I thought what the hell... There was several teams there that had targeted the 1st place so as I was on my own I was always going to find it hard but what the hell, always up for a challenge! I kept near the front of the race for most of it with a couple of attacks to get things going but with the massive wind it was always going to end with a bunch sprint to the line. One of the teams went with 1/2 a lap to go and took the rest of the field by surprise so they lead out there man to win and we were left to battle it out for the points that were left on offer. the pace was fast with 1 km to go so I picked a wheel to draft then unleashed my massive power (hahaha) this was going well as I started my sprint with 100 meters to go until a rider appeared to my left and leaned towards me... I knew this was going to end badly so I immediately started to swear... Then I hit the tarmac at about 37mph and this made me swear more! I skidded along ruining my expensive race kit as i went for what seemed like a couple of hours shifting my position a bit to try to make it more comfy but alas this didn't work so I swore some more! then the pain happened... So I laid there for a while to check my body was not broken and then swore at whoever was there... Nothing broken but massive road rash and bruising so after apologizing for my potty mouthed antics I began the somewhat painful journey home as I had to get the boy and dog from mum and dad before I could go to A&E. After waiting for 3 years I was seen and braced myself for more pain but to my delight the nurse cleaning my wounds offered me some gas and air!.... man alive that shit is good! It used to cost a lot of money and a meeting with some dodgy but 'safe man' geezers to feel that good! Now i'm home and drinking beer which I haven't done for months but am sure will help me rest.
My thanks to all who helped at the circuit, my son Flynn for his support at the hospital, Barny Willard and Suze, Pual butler and Nathan Fletcher. Race hard or go home!!

Stuart Hodd

No comments:

Post a Comment