Thursday 1 October 2015

Wednesday Chain Gang - Fast and Smooth

"It's going to be windy" said Stewart 'Lord' Buckland. "I've had the chaps tie down the marquee and bring the ponies in." Ah, the problems of the rich, but I was more concerned what impact the weather might have on my chain gang ride. Last week's outward leg was a tough slog into a stiff wind; this week looked like it might a tough homeward ride. Ugh!

But what beautiful conditions we had last night. Yes, some north-easterly wind gave us all a shove on the way to Pevensey, but it was not so strong that you'd hide behind someone large the whole way, chin on the stem, shoulders hunched inwards. The sun was just setting as I looked from Galley Hill, slipping behind a messy splodge of orange and grey cloud in the west. At least 26 riders assembled at the shelter, in good spirits, arriving in ones and twos, lights blinking and dazzling in the twilight.

Perhaps as many as 15 of the faster riders made off at 19:28, aiming to beat the trains to the level crossing. The first section to the De La Warr, through the finally-completed pedestrian-friendly area, passed with plenty of chat, the pace steady and comfortable, before gradually increasing the speed and branching left by the Metropole Lawns. South Cliff slog was smoothly despatched before we turned left onto Cooden Drive and a more regular rotation began, following Stuart 'Awesome' Hodd's question of the group: 'Are we going to rotate at all tonight?'. The wind was a bit more helpful to us at this point and I was clinging to his Lordship's rear wheel as best I could, ending up on the front as we dropped down to the tight right-hander at the Cooden Hotel.

This section can be a bit tricky. Riders have a different approach to this corner that can make a big difference to how well the group stays together. I felt I went into the corner a bit hot, scrubbing off some speed before cranking the bike over and heading for tighter-still left turn onto Herbrand, with traffic soon bearing down on us. Riders like to attack the low rise that leads to the section open to the shingle, and so the pace did go up through another rotation as we dodged through pebbles and oncoming traffic. I found myself on the front again as we crossed the railway line, breathing hard at this stage as again the pace was raised. Some respite came as we slowed for the bridge at the Star Inn, but I was dropped soon after - I could not accelerate as hard as the group. I ground onwards, riding solo to the roundabout, taking a turn around the island.

As is now traditional, Neil Shier shared some pithy, slightly acid observations on the character of the ride so far and on my overall conduct. I had found myself behind him a few times, admiring the shine of his bike's titanium tubes and his smooth pedalling style. He's what I call a 'horse', built more heavily than the other type of rider I call 'greyhounds', using muscle-mass to propel the bike forward, whilst our whippety friends are lighter and strong for their weight. I think I'm more greyhound than horse, more lightly built, but in need of losing the weight I've added since I was 19 (9.5 stone then, 12.5 stone now). Not sure I want to be that light again, but 12 stone would be nice!

The last of the riders straggled into view as we waited, one being the cycling fashion model, Peter 'Andre' Buss. Recently hitched to his nursing home Matron (Katie), he has a new lease of life as a photo-shoot diva for cycling kit manufacturers, his latest contract taking him to the glamorous fleshpots of St Leonards, Hastings and beyond. His finely-turned ankles are greatly in demand for sock-shots (you can google that if you're careful), and his rippling torso is perfect for stretching tight the lycra dreams of Castelli, dhb and others. Well done Peter!

I rode back with the same group, ripping across the marshes at a calmer pace than last week, hanging on up Spooky Hill, helped by some oncoming traffic and a little headwind. The group split for a bit but reformed before the Star, flipping left and right over the bridge with shouts of 'clear', rotating again as we headed to the railway line. I took the front over the crossing and around the left bend on Herbrand, but I was again undone by knackered legs and the group sped on to Cooden. I settled into a good pace, looking behind me as I made the rise at Cooden Hotel. A group of lights was just at the junction, so I soon became the fox and they the hounds as I did my best to speed away.

No chance of that as Ivan the 'single-speed machine' mashed down on his pedals, with Tom 'Bianchi Bomber' Norris and another rider close behind him. Tom let me in to the group, just before Ivan stuffed me into the back of a parked car, his focus tightly on riding a dead-straight line up Cooden Drive. He set a tough pace and we struggled to get past him to take a turn, for which he later admonished us. We did manage a couple of turns each at the front, but Ivan set a consistent high pace that was hard to beat.

We pulled into the lights and the banter and ride analysis continued. My eye caught the Great British Bake Off on the telly in the estate agent's window: Mary Berry talking; a camera shot of cocoa powder and sugar; and a shot of Lord Buckland's summer lodge in the background. We discussed sources of iron in the vegan diet, Peter 'Andre' Buss's latest modelling contract, Lord B's latest bespoke bicycle plans, before heading back towards the marshes with the 'Eastbourne Massif', dropping Lord B at his custom-made Rolls Royce bicycle transporter. Peter B shouted something at me as I rode off. I presumed it was an insult of some sort and waved goodbye.

Then at Cooden, I felt a bit guilty. What if he had something sensible to say? No, it couldn't be that. So, what was the problem? Then the penny dropped - I'd left him there with Peter 'Psycho' Baker, that curly-haired scoundrel and Rye-based pirate. Matron would not be happy if Peter wasn't home in time for his Shepherd's Pie, I'd better wait for him. No sign, oh dear. What mischief was he being led into? Would he arrive home in the small hours wearing nothing but mud and a silly grin (again)? I rode back to towards town to find him, but no sign. This was really quite worrying, Matron would not be happy, but then I thought 'so what' and completed my second leg of the chain gang, leaving him to his fate. Happy days.

The ride back to Bexhill was towards a huge, orangey harvest moon, lighting the marshes with a warm glow. So far, it's been a fine autumn with great riding conditions - dry, bright and not too warm. See you next week for another cracking chain gang.

Neil S

No comments:

Post a Comment