Sunday 25 September 2016

Brighton to Hastings Mtb 24/9

Our annual mtb ride to Brighton had to be reversed this year due to industrial action . We decided it would be best to get the train journey over with before starting the ride. So,myself, Peter BK, Malc and Derek arrived bleary eyed at Hastings station for 7:00 . Duncan and Tom joined us on the train at Bexhill and Eastbourne. This gave us our largest mtb turnout of the year but I was concerned that the guardsman would complain about the six mtbs blocking the carriage but despite being a bit grumpy nothing was said so we had a trouble free journey to Brighton.

Looking out the train window as the wonderful countryside flashed by it struck me just how lucky we are to live with the South Down national park on our doorstep, and that the park has been particularly kind to us this year with all the trails being so wonderfully dry.

I had mapped out the initial route along undercliff to Rottingdean but Duncan told us he knew a better way to join the downs from the marina.We all followed Duncan down to Madeira drive where we prompted stopped for bacon sarnies and tea having ridden for precisely one mile. At this rate we would have another 39 tea stops before arriving home, lol.

Suitably refreshed, Duncan took us on his new route which turned out to be an excellent way up onto the downs (our new default)
Duncan in great shape after his Italian expedition

The weather conditions were absolutely perfect, bone dry trails, a nice warm temperature and a cooling neutral southerly breeze.

In no time at all we had reached the foot of Itford hill where we had our second tea stop at the YMCA , this time opting for cakes rather than bacon sarnies. Our leg muscles were nicely warmed up and despite myself and Derek being last to the top of this massive hill I was pleased to gain a Strava pb.

Nice flowing undulating terrain took us rapidly over to Alfriston. We were all surprised at the rapid progress we were making and if this kept up we would finish the ride by the early afternoon.

From Alfriston there is a steep eroded path named on Strava as ‘lung buster’. This is my least favourite climb on the downs and I have never managed to ride up there without having to dismount. Much to my surprise, this time I managed to keep the front wheel down and made it successfully to the top without the front wheel lifting off. This isn’t because I have suddenly got fitter, its because I have ditched my long travel suspension post with a short travel one which gives me much better weight distribution on the bike .

A chance for me to escape for some solo riding
Buzzing with success I didn’t hang around to help the others fix Tom’s puncture but pressed up the next climb alone  towards  Jevington. Again, with the better position on the bike I was able to take the rooty descent from the long man faster than normal gaining another Strava pb.

All season I have been considering purchasing a full suspension rig but this sudden improvement in my hard tail 29er is making me hesitate, it’s almost like the bike is telling me, ‘don’t give up on me, I will behave from now on’

I had a few minutes on my own at Jevington, so was able to give Paul a ring. Unfortunately he had gone down with a nasty stomach bug the day before and was gutted to miss the ride. I did console him with the idea that if by a miracle the tracks remained dry in Oct I would love to do this route again.

The next long climb up to butts brow seemed so easy this day (perhaps I have got fitter after all) and I had plenty of breathe to chat with Duncan most of the way up. We both agreed that this has been a brilliant mtb season. We really don’t want to end.

Sadly we soon reached the end of the trail but had fun descending the zig zags from Beachy Head before indulging in a couple of pints at the ‘Pilot’.

This was a brilliant days riding. Although I do enjoy the ride to Brighton, I must admit that I actually prefer doing it this way round. So I think next year I will try to organise us riding it in both directions.

Thanks to all who came out and helped make it such a fun day.

Steve C


No comments:

Post a Comment