Friday 30 September 2016

Windy Wednesday Wobbler – Another Big Turnout

Yes, yes, I know – we’ve had three or four chain gangs and no report as yet, so I hope this makes amends. And what chain gang rides we have had! The first had more than 40 riders on it and the rides since have all had more than 30, with lots of new riders joining in – welcome! The numbers are unprecedented, in my experience, and a little alarming at times given it’s early in the chain gang season and we’re all a little ring-rusty or inexperienced. No need to worry though as I think everyone has been very aware to have a testing but safe midweek ride. Chapeau, chain-gangers!

 This week’s blowy conditions did nothing to limit numbers or enthusiasm as we set out in three or so well-spaced groups. Baron Buss had planned a strategy for surviving the tough outward leg, into-the-wind. Simply, he intended to shelter behind a chunkier gentleman. Step forward Lord Buckland, somewhat enlarged from a summer of gorging on pheasants (or is that peasants?) and gorgonzola, washed down with port. Peter espied him and gave me a wink, the crafty beggar.

 The large numbers on the ride, heading at speed into narrow and darkening lanes, gave rise to a recommendation that we ride single-file from the Herbrand Walk level crossing to past the Star Inn bridge. As far as I could tell, everyone did this and the result was a safer, smoother transition from the beach roads through the twists and pinch points that lead to the marsh proper. I announced this innovation by shouting to everyone before we started the ride. I must’ve enjoyed the shouting because I did a fair bit more as the ride continued.

 Riding in the middle group, we managed a good through and off rotation of the lead, only having any issues as we scooted up Spooky Hill, where as usual the short rise slows some more than others. This is less of a problem in smaller groups as the abilities tend to be better matched. In our larger group, you can usually live comfortably with the pace on the flat but be caught out on a hill. I know this all too well as a weaker climber; I usually end up on the outside desperately trying to make the head of the group, but being passed on the inside. Ugh! The lesson is to put yourself in the right place in the group as you ride from the Star Inn and past the level crossing at Normans Bay – easier said than done! Meanwhile, practice your hill sprints!

 So, the newer chain gang devotees are learning the ropes nicely, finding their place in the ranks and developing ever smoother riding styles. The old-hands are gruffly supportive. I shout. I mean, in a good way, but there is a fair bit of shouting emanating from my gob. Now, I think this has helped the newer (and some older) riders to have a more positive experience, but I would, wouldn’t I? Peter ‘Babs’ Baker took offence this week and offered me some shouty advice in return. We exchanged playful insults. That’s the trouble, isn’t it? The adrenaline is flowing and we’re all a bit wired, as if we’ve had a few double-espressos. Things are said, harsh things, words that sting but which cannot be taken back. You’ll be reassured to know that ‘Babs’ said he still loves me, but he always says that…

The group seems that much larger when assembled at the Pevensey roundabout, and noisier too. Neil Shier, this week acting as ‘Red Leader’ for the Ultras, confessed that he had perhaps set the pace a little too high, surrounded as he was by gasping and wheezing riders. The most excellent Stuart Hodd was not able to ride this week and I hear that Barney was busy building a bike, so it’s great that others are willing to step up and lead a group. There was a semi-structured restart to the ride in place of the usual free-for-all, which I think is an improvement. I should mention here that Simon G has kindly been ‘sweeping’ at the back of the chain to make sure the slower riders don’t get left alone on the marshes. Once he arrived, the first group made off and two further groups formed behind them shortly after.

 On the way out, we’d worked hard into the wind. Dan S did sterling work on the front, as did many others, including strong work from Kim, Adam and Duncan. Into the wind, it’s a bit easier to make smooth transitions; the wind acts as a natural brake on the front rider. On the way back, with the wind behind us, we needed more self-discipline as the breeze effectively super-charged our efforts. This is when a bit more control is needed and the groups did really well at reigning themselves in, keeping the group together and steadily building speed.

 The harder thing seemed to be controlling the urge to brake too hard when facing a hazard. A sudden drop in pace can quickly lead to a pile-up and we had a near-miss at one point. Steering might be the better thing to do, resisting the natural urge to squeeze the levers. The rider behind you will have less time to react and will be close to you. Nick S was at the end of one ripple, locking up his back wheel to avoid the rider in front; I had to swerve to miss him, neither of us sure what had happened ahead to cause this.

Whilst I’m in lecture-mode, it’s worth repeating the ‘Three Cs of the Chain Gang’: Concentrate, (be) Consistent, Communicate.

 ‘Babs’ (he likes that) had another chat with me at the traffic lights, although he had morphed into some sort of hippy character.

 ‘Just chill man, I mean, just let it happen, yeah? I mean like, what’s with the shouting?’ he drawled.

‘Well, we can’t just let it happen, if people don’t know what to do, can we?’ I replied stiffly (bloody hippy).

‘Whoa, you’re sooooo uptight Daddy-Oh, you gotta relaaaxxxx maaaaannnnn.’

 Oh dear, I think our relationship is in trouble. I’ve thought this for some time – we’re just not on the same wavelength. He’s always ‘too busy’ and then the next thing I know he’s cycling in Italy with some bloke called Paddy. I guess it’s time to move on*.

 Andy Coulter broke the awkward exchange with some sensible questions and a reminder that the club kit has arrived. You will presumably know if you ordered some or not, unless like me you cannot remember. Fear not – the excellent Andy has some spare kit, so there will be a chance to buy a shirt or whatever (whilst stocks last). Check the FaceBook page or emails for more news on this.

 Safe riding.

 
*Editor’s note: ‘Babs’ and Neil have been to Relate and are making a fresh start.

No comments:

Post a Comment