Monday 22 July 2013

Froome brings it home and I nearly made off with the podium sign!

John Stainsby reports from the last day of Le Tour.

Couldn't resist jumping onto the podium it was just there in front of me. I tried to blag the sign but the minder was having none of it despite me name dropping
Chris Parker! The final was electric with the riders coming round the Arc de Triomphe just in front of me. I climbed up the large TV screen to join an American
who insisted on giving me beer all afternoon. Who was I to refuse. This vantage point gave me a birds eye view as the peleton came around. David Millar put in a
valiant breakaway before being swallowed up as the pace increased. There was a fly past with coloured smoke trailing and everywhere union jacks flew over the
crowds. As the sun went down Froome pushed his glasses to the back of his helmet and came round alongside Cav. The crowds cheered and people scrambled
up trees,lamposts and craned necks for a glimpse of the action. It did not disappoint and all were witness to a finale to the greatest sporting spectacle on the
planet (ignoring all other lesser sports of course). Around me the beer flowed and people swayed but the good nature was abundant with no trouble. As the riders
flew past on the final lap towards the finish line I joined the masses squeezed in front of the tv screen to witness the drama and roar Cav on. Alas this was not his
day and it was left to Froome to satisfy the fans. The Arc de Triomph was illuminated and on the podium Froome fought back the emotion and almost shed a tear
before regaining his composure.The whole spectacle in Paris was worth the trip alone and I found getting to the stages easy and had no problem with camping
both rough and at sites. If you do one thing visit the Tour and get to Dutch corner on L'Alpe d'Huez and witness the passion of the orange fans. You will see the
drama and the passion that makes this race so epic.

No comments:

Post a Comment