Wednesday 24 July 2013

Jon Meets The 'The Badger'

As a finale to my visit to the Tour I met Bernard Hinault a true cycling legend. Just as I thought that my cheeky jump onto the podium couldn't be topped I
happened upon a meet and greet with Bernard Hinault 5 time Tour winner and Christian Prudhomme the Tour director in a swanky shopping centre in Paris. I
knew this was a never to be repeated opportunity and duly joined the queue before it got too long. He was very gracious and I summoned up my best french to
tell him it was an honour to meet him. We shook hands and posed for the photo. I left with a signed photo card for the scrapbook. I cannot imagine that you could
get so involved with another sport at the top level and this made my whole Tour experience extra special. I take away memories of Froome attacking on Ventoux,
stunning scenery, passionate fans, the party on Dutch corner, riding Ventoux with my son as the sun crested the summit, the impromptu use of the display tent at
Decathlon in Gap, watching the Sky team load Froomes bike into the boot like it was the most precious thing ever, seeing the mechanics strip down Cavs bike
and leave it within touching distance of the fans,and so much more.
Jon Stainsbury

No comments:

Post a Comment