Thursday 17 April 2014

16/4 HSLCC Chaingang- A Beautiful Day!

Another beautiful spring day and another swift and smooth-running chain gang, ridden in near perfect conditions. As in previous weeks, 20 riders set off, picking up speed towards the end of Bexhill 'prom' and riding hard up South Cliff. Nippy Joe Kingsman set the early pace with me tucked in just behind. That wasn't because I'm as fast as him...

Joe and the other strong riders soon sped ahead, leaving a straggle of smaller groups, but same as last week they were held at the Cooden level crossing. The timing worked just right for Tom and myself to steal a cheeky lead, without having to slow. The natural order was, of course, soon restored as the larger group ripped up Spooky Hill and on to Pevensey. Tom, I and one other rotated the lead and I was pleased to find I'd set a PR on the outward leg and for the overall chain gang route.

With the large, dark orange sun just ducking below the horizon, we began the return leg into a light east wind. I tucked in behind the fast boys as they whizzed through the reed-lined marsh lanes, hanging on until the descent from Spooky Hill. I settled into uneasy cooperation with a larger rider, then Kie joined us and we worked our way along Cooden Drive until they pressed on from the bump and dropped me.

It was such a pleasant evening that I decided to keep riding - east to Galley Hill, then west as far as the Cooden Beach Hotel, finally back and forth around Collington before dodging home. I got off the bike really buzzing from a great evening ride, but I also felt strangely dissatisfied. I'd hoped for, well, revenge frankly, for last week's mountain bike humiliation. But I was denied the opportunity as Paul didn't show. It would be nice to imagine that was because he knew I'd catch him this week, but in reality it probably saved me from double-humiliation!

It's been lovely riding in shorts again, but my feet have got cold in the cool morning and evening air without overshoes. Last night I rode with toe covers and they were perfect - toes nicely insulated but without the foot overheating. Recommended. As previously reported, my Giant wheels and tyres are proving very good, with the tyres in particular providing excellent comfort, grip & speed. And no punctures yet!

Remember, there are just two Wednesday chain gang rides left; the last one is on 30th April.

Neil Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment