Friday 4 April 2014

2/4 HSLCC Chaingang-The Return Of The Sun!

Last week, 3 degrees, fleecy tights & overshoes; this week 16 degrees, mitts & bare (hairy) legs. We'd started in the dark, but this week in the light. Not quite such good news was the stiff easterly breeze, but the Strava devotees amongst us sensed a chance to smash some PRs on the outward leg.

Steve, Hoping For Some Wind Assistance!
Perhaps this worked against the good group discipline of recent rides, as this weeks 25 riders seemed more scattered. With Chris's dire warnings of invisible cars ringing in our ears, we set off at a good wind-assisted pace. Within 50 metres, the rider ahead of me slipped a cleat and went into a comedy wobble, just saving a crash at each extreme of the movement. All we could do from behind was watch and wait for the final loss of control, but the rider did well and avoided kissing the Tarmac. Hopefully, that would be the nearest we'd get to an accident!

As hoped, I later found I'd bagged some good PRs on the blast to Pevensey. This seems fair compensation for the times this winter that I've bashed along Cooden Drive and Herbrand Walk through a south-westerly gale. Lovely to have a warm following wind, but of course this also made everyone else faster, so whilst Spooky Hill was easier than usual for me, I still couldn't hang onto the small groupings ahead.

The return leg was hard work, but was helped by some cooperation; Malcolm, Simon and eventually Tom joined me in a group that rotated the lead nicely until Malcolm had got away from us down the Cooden Bump, pushing a big fixed gear. We caught him on the last stretch towards the lights - the group wins every time, just like the tour. Well, nearly every time.

What a novelty- A chaingang in the light!
All in all, it was a good ride. I achieved my highest average chain gang speed to date and had a ride with a bit of everything. Joe Kingsman proved himself a strong and fast young rider, and some bloke called Pete seemed to have given the swifter chaps a run for their money. The marvellous Stuart Hodd looked very fresh and relaxed at the lights, so I can only assume he'd taken a short-cut and then put his feet up.

Chris also announced that April is the last month for Wednesday chain gangs. I'm still in shock - you could've broken it to me more gently! I've been enjoying them so much. I suppose I'll have to give the time trials a go. A fresh challenge and new experiences await me.

Neil Smith



No comments:

Post a Comment