Thursday 16 October 2014

15/10 Wet Chain Gang

Another week, another Wednesday night chain gang, and another notch nearer winter. Last night was that bit darker, wetter and windy but 15 deluded souls turned up regardless to brave the elements and stretch their stiff midweek legs. Besides, the forecast said the rain would dry up and it's always right.

The minute we set off the rain changed from light spits to heavy, rapid splashes, smacking us in the face as we set out along Bexhill front. Pedalling faster to stay warmer, I felt the cold rain soak through my water resistant arm warmers, through my gillet and then through my longs and shorts. Rain mixed with sweat ran down behind my glasses and stung my eyes. My torch beam caught the silver balls of rain bursting on the road as we swished soggily towards South Cliff. Water falling from above, water thrown up from below and water blown sideways at us - yep, this was a wet one alright. Grit teeth, head down and press on...

We were making swift but restrained progress in roughly two groups just a few seconds apart. The wind was racing over the sea and squeezing through the gap between the houses and the hotel at Cooden, sending each riders' wheels sideways at the corner, then blasting them towards the Herbrand Walk turn.

Riding in a group of seven or so, we rode through and off along Herbrand Walk, the windiest part of the ride. The rain was pelting down harder, making it very hard to see clearly. The stretch of road between the level crossing and the Star Inn was peppered with small road works, signs and barriers, creating a sloshy, splashy slalom along the twisting road. We filed-up, swinging left and right through the obstacles as they loomed in our lights, splitting puddles with our wheels. I thought the group did a great job of supporting each other with clear shouts and signals, reigning in the more enthusiastic riders wanting to overtake in riskier places.

Normal if rather wet service was resumed once we were clear of the road works at the foot of Spooky Hill. John V said 'I'm going for it' and pressed on up the hill. I followed him and so did most of the riders as I made the head of the group on the downward slope. We rode through and off for the remainder of the leg, riding well together in testing conditions.

At the turn, the superb Stuart Hodd wasn't keen to hang around (sensible man). So after a quick count (where was Chris?), we turned around and headed homeward, thinking about hot food and dry clothes. Don't get me wrong, I was enjoying myself, but sometimes, like with toothache or a hangover, it's nice when it stops. Hopes of a helpful wind came to nothing as the breeze was mostly across us on both legs of the ride.

The return leg was more disjointed. I ended up in a small group from Herbrand Walk onwards. Stuart and Barney had sped ahead to join a group a few hundred metres on from us; I tried to follow but again, same place same result - not enough go in the legs. We ground our way toward the station, our rhythm broken a little by the junction, then rode around a wet and windy Cooden corner. I think there was five of us - Simon G and Kie on their fixie for sure, perhaps Tom and Stuart too - it's a bit of a rainy blur. Anyhow, we continued another good group ride to the lights and realised, once we'd caught our breath, that it had stopped raining. Well hurray!

Thoroughly soaked, we didn't hang around here either. Time to get home as soon as possible. I had a puddle in each shoe and what felt like a cold, wet newspaper in my shorts. I peeled off the soaking layers in the garage, bundled it all in the washing machine, dried off, got dressed, reheated dinner and flopped in front of the telly, feeling that nice post-chain gang glow of satisfaction. 'The Apprentice' was the family choice.

I thought about going back out again but concluded I'd probably be locked out. Or locked up.

Neil

1 comment: