Thursday 9 October 2014

Classic Chain Gang

 The forecast had been bad for days - wind and heavy rain showers for most of the week. Good! Proper chain gang conditions, none of this 'warm, dry and still' rubbish. I was looking forward to a tough outward leg into the wind, then surfing the breeze back into Bexhill.

 I was less keen after getting soaked walking home from the station. "You're mad" said no2 daughter. "I won't be the only one " says I. "You're ALL mad!" says she.

So, I joined 23 other madmen, in the dark, for some hardcore chain gang, although as the inestimable Stuart Hodd pointed out, it wasn't cold enough to be truly hardcore. That'll come soon enough. As we've not had much rain of late, the roads were greasy and Stuart sensibly called for a careful ride with lots of communication. I think we did a good job of that.

 Well ordered progress was made along Bexhill front. A car driver at a junction stared in bemusement as our large group made steady progress across them. You could see them thinking "I don't usually stop for cyclists, but there's so many of them, what do I do"? They waited, we spun our pedals and were gone.

 The south-westerly headwind was blustery rather than consistently strong, at least until we reached Herbrand Walk. By that point, the faster riders were already through the level crossing and I was riding in a small group with Simon G and Kie. We had passed Stuart and Barney near the end of Cooden Drive. I thought it was a puncture but Stuart later told me that Barney had, with his 'awesome power', snapped his left hand crank clean through, a couple of inches down from the pedal. Well, the obvious answer to that problem is a new bike, not least as it's nearly Christmas.

 Turning away from the beach and the worst of the wind, our small group of six or so riders made fairly tidy 'through and off' progress across the marsh. Plenty of spray was thrown up from the road, caught as sparkling beads in our lights, with the odd short & sharp shower adding to the wetness. Stuart Hodd sped by to catch the fast boys. Frankly, that was dispiriting, but we ground onwards, encouraging everyone to do a turn at the front. The windy conditions slowed things down compared to last week's ride and I think this helped the group riding - we needed to work together to make headway.

 I was pleased to finish the outward leg without feeling too done in (riding in a group works) and I think we were all looking forward to an easier return leg. The risk now was of the wind helping us go too fast, especially when coming through to take a turn at the front, and then of the group having to work too hard to stay with the lead rider.

 A group of 12 or so riders forged ahead and upped the pace across the marsh. I bust a gut to do a couple of turns on the front, the group reducing and the pace increasing as we crested and then flew down from the 'summit' of Spooky Hill. There was lots of calling as we rounded the bend near the Normans Bay level crossing, with riders holding really good and steady lines as we swooped through the puddles here. The pressure stayed on along the short straight to the Star Inn. I shouted 'holes, left and right', someone in yellow (Malcolm?) came past me and then we were all shouting 'CAR!!' as we eased off towards the bridge, loudly enough to make people spill their pints.

 Once through the bridge we were then in turn shouting 'clear', pressing hard again on the pedals. Man in yellow was joined by Stuart. I got out of the saddle to stay with them, but they eased away. Four others went by me and that group of six went off into the distance. My legs didn't have the power to reach them ('give me more power Scotty', 'she cannae take it Captain,'), so I hunkered down and kept spinning.

 A rider was tucked in behind me along Herbrand and I bossily called him through. We turned onto Cooden Drive and were joined by Tom Norris, riding head down and pushing hard. We rotated the length of the drive, the pace quickening and Tom's complaints increasing before we eased off well before the lights. Good hard riding and great fun. Tom and I had been riding with Dan, who rode really strongly and finished with a big grin on his face. That's what it's all about.

 It was good to see Kie on his fixie, a lovely looking Kona I think, and with Simon G on his that made two on the ride. Tough going into that wind! It makes me hanker after a good winter steed but I dare not... I will this week put a 25mm Conti 4 season tyre on the rear wheel, but keeping the 23mm tyre on the front. I've ridden this setup before as I get more rear than front punctures. I hope this will see me safely through the weekend jaunt on the Velopace Little Dipper sportive. See you there.

Neil Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment