Thursday 2 October 2014

One man and his bike went to Devon



So I was mentally geared up to go and ride the Alps with Nigel and Steve B but events conspired against us and this trip will have to wait for another day. What to do then with the time off? Obviously I was going to ride my bike somewhere but knowing that a foreign ride was unlikely, I turned my attention the home and sought an adventure of a different kind.
I always had a plan B (if I am honest there are lots of Plan B's just don't tell the wife) to do a back to back two day long distance ride to visit my cousin in Devon. This was inspired by my obsessive following of the recent Transcontinental Race from London to Istanbul, (unsupported via three checkpoints and very few rules) this is a proper hardcore ride and not for the faint hearted. Although only in its second year it has achieved a respected status in the long distance riding world. I have developed a serious hankering for having a go at this. Like a moth to a flame it draws me in and one day I will get burnt.
Check out the three part short film on YouTube http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9m_X31xnG2A

Seeking my own little adventure in homage to this, I decided to undertake a little 'Transcountynental' from East Sussex to Devon. My plan was simple pack a bag, load my bike and ride to the New Forest on day one and then to my Cousins house just west of Totnes on day two. I decided on going simple without Gps or a detailed route and had a quick look at the map and decided on a faster but hopefully less hilly route via the A roads. I did make a slight concession and bought a few secondhand OS maps which proved invaluable near the end.
I figured by rough calculations it was about 150-160 miles and this would break down to two fairly even days. I set off at 0545hrs lit up like a Christmas tree and with a flourescent waistcoat and turned onto the A21 for the short section to Marley Lane. This proved the worst bit with all the builders vans rushing to London like a Grand Prix. I only managed 5 mins before the chain jumped off. I knew I should have fixed that. Sorted, I worked my way to Heathfield as the sunrise greeted me with its warm glow and birdsong. There is nothing so special as riding your bike at sunrise as the world wakes and you are already hard at it. I had chosen to go inland via the A272 all the way to Winchester to avoid the busier coast road and the manic A27. This proved a good choice and I made time with little traffic to speak of.
My first stop was breakfast at McDonalds on the junction of the A24 and it felt good to have some miles in the legs. I had driven this road before but this was the first time on a bike. It felt familiar and not challenging but I knew that I was heading into new lands. I was smiling and focused on the New Forest letting the sun warm my back.
I had mentally broken this day into, ride to Winchester, drop down into the New Forest and find the Youth Hostel for food and sleep. Sounds simple and it was. I took a couple of wrong turns but it was easy to follow the signs and the maps stayed in the bag.
Reaching Winchester brought back memories of the South Downs trip and some familiar roads and expensive tea shops! Pushing on through the town I wanted the open road again to spin along and eat up the miles. There were a few steep hills but mostly it was rolling and fast riding. I skirted the major towns and avoided any holdups to cross into Hampshire and onto the New Forest. It was there I met two Eastern European cyclists outside a shop refuelling. Both had heavy panniers and flat pedals on chunky mountain bikes. They had ridden from East London that morning and were asking how far to Dorset. I was no use but a local kindly told them it was an hour by car! They set off happy but with at least 60 miles to go and a finish in the dark. I scoffed four doughnuts down and resisted lashings of ginger beer in favour of good old water.
I soon found myself in the forest with ponies all around and quiet roads. It was about 5.45pm when I reached the welcome sight of the Youth Hostel at Burley. I was glad to stop but otherwise felt fine which was a good sign for day two. I soon arranged a bed and had a whole room to myself as it was quiet being the off season. Dinner was too good to pass and they had local beer so I was sorted.This the cheapest accommodation you will get and is open to non members as well.
The following morning I allowed myself a later start and after a full English I was confronted with what can only be described as a monsoon. It rained hard for 30mins and flooded all around the hostel cutting off my route to the bike shed. I watched as the waters rose but as quick as it arrived it passed and I made a dash for it. The gods were smiling as I stayed dry all the next day.

Leaving the New Forest behind I picked up the A31 via Dorchester. Stopping for lunch there I found a cafe in the central car park where the buses stop. It was a real greasy spoon and even had its own resident local. His first words were 'You're not from round here are you?' Then quickly followed by 'Are you from London?' satisfied with two 'No' answers I was allowed to pass and order ham egg and chips. Fuelled and ready for the final push I escaped the idiot and slipped away.
Keeping to the main roads I joined the A35 and rode into Dorset. Now the hills were coming thick and fast and they were giants. Nothing for it but a slow and steady grind up and over each one. The views more than made up for this effort. I made the outskirts of Exeter at 6.45pm and knew then I would be finishing in the dark. In my head it was only a short ride from there but this proved to be the hardest section. I guess having already ridden over 100 miles this was to be expected. Onwards using the A38 towards Dartmoor the light faded and I hugged the white line on the side to avoid the traffic. It was busy but I never felt in real danger, just not able to relax. My only puncture came about 8pm just after startling a couple of deer grazing on the side. I quite enjoyed the buzz of the night ride and was thankful for my map to pinpoint my turnoff into the wilds of Dartmoor. I had about 3 miles of country lanes left. There was a final killer hill to rival Stonestile to finish, but I had arrived job done.
Day one was 10.30 hrs and day two 12.30hrs give or take a few minutes. I could have gone faster and not stopped for the pub lunch and cafe stop, but it would not have been as enjoyable. This was about the journey and nothing else.
I took two days to fully recover and then did a local 60 miles in Devon proper, even taking a boat ride across the estuary at Salcombe with my bike to complete the feel of being in an Enid Blyton story. I have learnt a lot from the whole experience and know I can ride multiple days if required. I am sure that bad I weather and rougher sleeping options would make a difference but just require a different mindset. Devon has serious hills and amazing riding and I will return. I took the train home as domestic chores beckoned and points were needed in the bank of home.
All in all it was a resounding success and is banked in the memory. My aim is one day to hear the words 'Grandad is a nutter' and smile knowing I have lived a little. This is a step in the right direction I feel.

Go explore and push yourself you will be amazed at the results.

Jon Stainsby

No comments:

Post a Comment