Sunday 10 January 2016

BBR 9/1/16 Second BBR, New Kit, No Disasters


The new Tilly lane variation was a great success
I was happy that Chris P had changed the route to the Winter BBR compared to last weeks difficult riding down Horsewalk and New Bridge Road. I arrived fresh at Di Paolo's this week having driven over as I needed to get my service record stamped at a Bulverhythe garage and didn't fancy carrying my book for 35 miles in my back pocket. I was also in a brand new close fit top and with knee warmers as Patrick P's advice after my clothing disaster last week with my commuter rain wear flapping all round the place. I had thought I might get away with that as the ride name mentioned Bacon Butties, but it was quicker than I expected.
Patrick and Tom enjoying the pre BBR warm-up

Guess what Finlay got for Xmas!
After Chris P's helpful briefing we set off about 10am at a fairly gentle pace with a bit of a south westerly crosswind. I soon warmed up and felt good in my kit. I was a bit more cautious than normal on a few curvy descents where the road seemed to have quite a lot of water and detritus on it. Really didn't want to fall off two weeks in a row especially as last week was actually my first BBR, which I guess is probably an unenviable record.

Which reminds me. I chatted to Steve during the ride about my off as he was right behind me last week. He said "Actually Duncan you did me a favour, I was going to take that exact line round the bend". I thought that was funny and actually I felt happy to have done Steve a good turn, although really I would rather buy him a pint than show where not to go.

'The Colonel ' calls for a regrouping at Bodle Street Green!
The first serious bit of work on the ride was going up the hill to Bodle Street. I found myself behind Patrick P and for a couple of minutes I thought I would see how quick he goes up the hills. Well I found that out and think he was poodling a bit but I didn't want to exhaust myself in the first half hour of the ride, so soon dropped off and went at my own pace.

At one point later on a long flat stretch I tried to give Finlay a tow but he was struggling and later told me he was pretty tired. I spent a lot of the ride with Steve and Derek as we are reasonably well matched. Patrick P had another puncture this week and I thought I would see him in the cafe, but the cafe stop changed and I didn't see him until the pub.

We arrived at the Lime Cross Nursery and I was looking forward to a cuppa. We parked up round the back but found the cafe very busy. The girl said it was table service only which would take an age so the group consensus was head on down to Chilley. That's good I thought, its all down hill.

The author appreciated the log fire at Chilley farm.
Derek, myself and Steve found ourselves together again going past the main Herstmonceux Castle. Derek seemed to be stuggling a bit so I went up front to lead. This seemed to work for a little while but I was quite a bit quicker up the little hill to the Lamb dropping Derek and Steve. I wanted to get to Chilley as quickly as I could, so curled up small in what I think is my most aero position with forearms on the bar tops. This seemed to work pretty well against a strong headwind. I was running at 155bpm which is a lot of effort for me. I decided to slow that to about 145 and struggled across. I could see a group of 4 ahead and that gave me an incentive as I seemed to be catching up slowly.

I rounded the corner into Rickney Lane and was very relieved to feel the slight tailwind and about 200 yards ahead the group of 4. I committed to catching them, so went pretty hard. I caught them a 100 yards before Chilley, they were relaxing by then and mainly for a laugh went past at speed hoping to be first in the queue. I parked my bike but was beaten into the shop by Malc D  who had hopped off quick. He referred to that as the Le Mans style dismount.

We had a nice time in the outside farm bit, with a lovely log burning stove which helped warm me and others, mainly Ivan and Derek up.

We headed off for the final leg as a group. I always think Pevensey roundabout is potentially lethal and a place to concentrate hard to get across safely. I also much prefer to stay clipped in rather than having to go from a one leg start. Ivan and Malc D  had gone over first, I saw a space and nipped across, ending up behind them along Sluice Lane. There was a cross/tail wind but they were running about 17mph which I felt was a bit  slow with that wind helping. I wanted to try for some PB's, so after a few minutes coasting in the gap behind I overtook. One of them I think said "Where's he off to?" as I went passed which made me smile.
Good to see at least Ivan and Shirley are paying attention.

I knew I only had to get to Bexhill soI put in quite a bit of effort all the way and was happy with the pace ending up with about 3 PBs. I waited by Cooden Station out of the wind until Ivan and Malc D came along and once again dropped in behind feeling knackered.  Malc went off home I think and I was very happy to tail Ivan who seemed very strong and I noticed was running a single gear, chapeau to that. I finished at Di Paolo's and went to my car. Just as I was changing shoes the rain started and I was very happy not to have to do "the grind" back to Hastings.
 No more cold bare winter legs for Shirley.

Several of us met in the Standard where the fire was a magnificent sight to behold complete with a couple of sofas and table. Perfect. We all had a good chat and warm up. We were the only ones in the pub for two hours, so it felt like it was HSCC Clubhouse.

Chatting to Chris afterwards I can see there is a need for a bit of mentoring as to Club etiquette when on the road. I don't remember all that Chris said but I took away the keywords as being: Be Predictable, Concentrate, Communicate. Any tips from the old hands to us newbies will be gratefully received :)

So that was my Most Excellent Saturday and I look forward to more.

Duncan Hacon

No comments:

Post a Comment