Saturday 2 January 2016

BIKE LESSON FOR TODAY and FOREVERMORE: DON'T GO THROUGH PUDDLES - ONE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT LIES BENEATH!

Oh dear, took a tumble today when out with Hastings & St.Leonards Cycle Club at the North end of Rickney Lane about a mile or so south west of Herstmonceux, on a very wet and windy day.
My own silly fault to a degree*, I went through the edge of a puddle on a sharp bend to clean my rims which for some strange reason I thought would be a good idea. Lurking beneath, unfortunately, was a hole about 4 foot long and about 3 inches deep. My front wheel went up against the defined edge of this as my line went across it. Immediately I feel myself heading for the tarmac as my bike did a somersault. Bruised and little cut on my palms, sightly bashed my helmet on the deck.
Found myself laying on my back in the road with my bike on top of me. Steve Curtis kindly picked it up and checked it as I regained my composure. To add insult to injury the front wheel had gone flat, a "pinch flat", my first. So had to put a new tube in. Slightly frustrating that when I unscrewed the pump adaptor the damn valve inner came out letting the air out! Bugggeration! Screwed it in by hand and pumped up again with adaptor not so tight. Held breath and luckily valve stayed put.Front of both bike hoods have been ground by the road, but only cosmetic, I think. Bike OK but will check again tomorrow.
First time I have fallen off it since purchase in 2008, so probably about time it was Christened.
*Disclaimer, I guess if the pot hole wasn't there I would not have fallen off.

PS Went back to check out that puddle where I had the tumble.
No wonder I fell off, there is a five inch vertical edge to the little pond! I am happy my fork's not broken :)




Album photos may be of some interest:


Duncan H

No comments:

Post a Comment