Friday 7 October 2011

lantern jawed heroes / brain on shuffle chaingang 5th October 2011

Sometimes when I'm plugging along on my own, a bit of music I've heard recently will drift into my head l and I'll replay it on a loop for a few minutes, to sustain a rhythm in a difficult spot, like last night grovelling overgeared into the dark against a strong headwind on my own, having missed the start and wondering if I'd ever catch up with the others, it was only the " I like it I'm not gonna crack" chorus from this that stopped me from turning round and quitting.
Its not all good tho', after a gluttonous xmas hols, out of shape from a months layup because of icy roads I couldnt get the bump and grind, ridiculous "La di da di da" chorus from this out of my head.
Then again one evening when I was feeling stronger and tearing it up I got some of this hypnotic stuff, ideal for a turbo.

One advantage of random imaginary music vs an ipod is I still get to hear all the fast cars and slow tractors approaching round the next bend, not to mention spokes snapping, tyres deflating and other more pleasant things.
so thats my first half, a couple of lads punctured, if anyone wants to email me more info I'll post it here.

At half way I was releived to see a bunch of riders sheltering from the rain under a tree.

Simon Newell and Max I think got an excellent 6th in the 2 up TT at weekend.

Number of riders- not sure less than 20 more than 12.

Speed out for front group - 16mph, Swavek and Joe punctured. I was overgeared for headwind of 14mph gusting 29mph, felt like grinding along at 10 mph. Rain threatened a bit and wet the road but never got heavy

Back avg 26mph, maxing at 29s and 32s for our lantern jawed heroes who'd braved the fierce gusts in the face to ride the wind back again like happy surfers.

Matt and Swavek shot clear at top of spooky hill like flaming rockets, Malc and Alex chasing, then me on me own, undergeared now . Adrian caught me before Bexhill with tribars & gears, friends. Duncan, Tony and others in hot pursuit.

By the way some handy info for fixed gearheads and insomniacs here, like "32 mph on 84inches is nearly 130 revs per minute" what larks.
Now thats fast for an old lag like me but check this guy, 247 rpm!

No comments:

Post a Comment