Saturday 15 October 2011

Simon Tyler at the Marmotte

just got this email from chain-ganger Simon Tyler, get the full story and photos at saltedmackerel.cc

"Hi Chris,

Work and small child have conspired to make chaingangs and similar tricky to fit around other commitments, but will hopefully get out a bit more regularly next year.


Catching up on the recent blog posts - I reckon I did a noteworthy number of Alpine hills this summer!

Glandon / Telegraph / Galibier / Alpe d'Huez in a day

The Glandon was psychologically tough being the first of four. When I got to the base of the Telegraph I felt much happier about it all, and span my way past a good few hundred riders, and the same on the Galibier.

On the descent of the Galibier one of my contact lenses fell out just as I was entering the first big and very dark tunnel. I stuck my sunglasses back on to stop the other one falling out too (quite dry eyes by that point) - the sensation of hurtling through a pitch black road tunnel with the blur of headlights coming towards you and a distant light at the other end being the only things giving you any idea where to steer was not very pleasant.

The Alpe was a b****** too, for obviously reasons. I actually think it's a pretty ugly and uninspiring climb - the only reason it's featured so much in racing is the infrastructure at the top which means it works well as a race finish.

Ventoux - Classic route from Bedoin, then again from Sault the following day.

Ventoux was tough too, but the experience made up for that many times over.

Aravis from Flumet, then

Colombiere / Croix Fry / Aravis / Saisies the next day.

Not bad at all.

Next year I want to try the Ventoux triple (or Cingles) - Ventoux from all three routes (Bedoin / Malaucene / Sault) in a day.

Also working on a Zurich - Venice tour, via Fluela Pass / Stelvio / Gavia / Monte Grappa, etc. Quite a tough week that might turn out to be.

Simon"

C.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment